Noisy reverb , Princeton copy

What's Hot
spev11spev11 Frets: 420
I’ve built a Princeton copy ( modulus kit). Got it working but the reverb is unusable as it’s super noise, very loud hum as soon as you turn the knob. I’ve not got a foot switch for it yet. Checked connections, been in with the chopstick and nothing so far. All the preamp tubes bar
the 12at7 reverb drive are a smidge loose but it doesn’t seem to affect the operation. I did have a faulty 12ax7 which displayed a similar hum problem. Can I substitute the 12at7 for one of my spare 12ax7 for the purpose of elimination? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BlackbirdCabsBlackbirdCabs Frets: 274
    I am in no way qualified to help, but I had this problem once and it was a simple case of the red and black connections being the wrong way round.
    Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• spev11spev11 Frets: 420
    ive swapped em so many times im dizzy  =) 
    all the schematics and build plans have slight variations on wiring for the in/out sockets and the footswitch so I've tried all of them. I'm happy enough to order a 12at7 to be honest but was hoping to whack a 12ax7 in for testing purposes

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    You probably need to rotate the tank relative to the power transformer. If the PT and reverb transducer coils are aligned on the same axis it will induce hum in the reverb transducer.

That may be awkward from a layout point of view, but if it’s on the floor of the cabinet now, try it on the inside of the lower back panel, or vertically on the side wall. Make sure the output end is furthest from the PT.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It’s in a head box so not a lot of room, it buzzes and hums with the tank outside and far away from the amp.i will go,in and recheck everything but it’s driving me mad ( the buzzing is loud enough to make it unusable 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3216
    tFB Trader
    I bet your RCA sockets aren't grounded
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The diagrams all make the assumption that they ground to the chassis via the socket but I’ll whip em out to check there isn’t an insulation washer or similar in the way, I can run grounding wires to a nearby tab if need be
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3216
    tFB Trader
    spev11 said:
    The diagrams all make the assumption that they ground to the chassis via the socket but I’ll whip em out to check there isn’t an insulation washer or similar in the way, I can run grounding wires to a nearby tab if need be

I spy isolation washers
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I figured as they were on the outside and over the back panel that’s the proper place. It’s all a learning curve, I shall go move em and check the grounding again, ta very much
    ah I hang my head in shame, i'd put a bloody washer either side of the socket, the ground tabs on two of em were chassis side . I've removed them, retested and bingo , its playable, there's still a bit of hum so i'll shuffle the tanka around a bit and see if that sorts it. 
    Ta everyone for all the help that i've had and undoubtedly will receive. This was a huge step up from the pedals I've built but I'm so pleased (and excited that its working).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 199
    spev11 said:
    ah I hang my head in shame, i'd put a bloody washer either side of the socket, the ground tabs on two of em were chassis side . I've removed them, retested and bingo , its playable, there's still a bit of hum so i'll shuffle the tanka around a bit and see if that sorts it. 
    Ta everyone for all the help that i've had and undoubtedly will receive. This was a huge step up from the pedals I've built but I'm so pleased (and excited that its working).
    The issue with reverb tanks is that sometimes, depending on the environment, some buzz and hum is unavoidable. I have had amps that hum and buzz but when miked up the hum and buzz isn't really present on the recording. Of course when playing at certain volumes for your own personal pleasure it can be hard to accept it for what it is. There's plenty of quiet tube amps with quiet reverb tanks out there but my experience is that some buzz or hum is always present.
    Forgot to update, fitted the tank in the bottom of the headshell I made, made the grounding washers for the reverb in and out work and its running fine and its exceptionally quiet. I have only solid state amps at home to compare it with (I have a Fender Vaporizer at work that I may bring home) and its very quiet indeed. 
     Just need to knock up a footswitch now, nothing fancy, just two switches with led's so I can switch the reverb and trem on and off.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9783
    I think getting LEDs to work with such a switch may not be straightforward...
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 295
    Well done @spev11 it sounds like a great project to undertake, especially with the cabinet making. It must be great to play through something you created yourself. 
    I think getting LEDs to work with such a switch may not be straightforward...
    i'll chuck a button cell in to power em (or a 9 volt supply, seems a bit overkill mind)
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    edited June 22
    You can buy 9v battery boxes that only require you making a square cut out in the pedal housing. I did that to power the LEDs in my DZ30 channel switch. I also put a switching 9v jack socket so if I had a supply then it would save the battery. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9783
    edited June 22
    I did think that would be possible, sounds like a very good solution.