What are some big sounding 1x12 cabinets?

What's Hot
NerineNerine Frets: 2313
I currently have a Two-Rock open back 1x12 and whilst it’s a fine sounding thing, I feel like there could be something out there that provides a little more weight in the low end. 

The speaker in it is a Two-Rock/WGS 12-65B if that makes any difference, but I think the cabinet design may have more of an effect, so I’m kinda looking at Thieles and ported 1x12’s and that kind of thing. 
EV loaded stuff not out of the question either. 
I really like Creambacks, so naturally the Friedman cabs also come to mind, but just wondering if there’s anything I’m missing or if anyone has any recommendations of potentially “massive” sounding 1x12’s I should check out. 

Cheers. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 246
    It may be worth checking out Barefaced cabs. Their marketing is focused on how they make a small cab sound like a larger one and how the sound is dispersed more evenly throughout a room. I've not tried one, but am very tempted.

The standard speaker is a Celestion V30, but you can choose other ones for an upcharge.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2313
    It may be worth checking out Barefaced cabs. Their marketing is focused on how they make a small cab sound like a larger one and how the sound is dispersed more evenly throughout a room. I've not tried one, but am very tempted.

The standard speaker is a Celestion V30, but you can choose other ones for an upcharge.

Thanks. I’ll check them out for sure. 
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1052
    Mesa Boogie Thiele, especially the older ones with the EV in it.

Pretty sure the ported ones Modulus do are the same layout:

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 825
    I have a Zilla ported 1x12 with a G12H Creamback in it that sounds noticeably bigger than other large 1x12 combos I’ve tried 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1466

Even Harley Benton are at it these days:  https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112plus_thiele_unloaded.htm

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 791
    Dr Z for sho. The convertible 1x12 sounds huge. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9717

I was going to say the MB Thiele as well.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7326
    I played my JTM45 through a Suhr ported 1x12 with a vintage 30 in it in a practice studio, and it sounded great to be fair. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4255
    Zilla Fatbaby with a convertible back; I’ve had mine for four years now and can’t fault it at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 322
    I use a Barefaced 1x12 with a creamback in it. Physically it’s very small and it initially gets some odd looks at gigs but it sounds massive, easily as big and loud as the 2x12 it replaced.

A friend has a Suhr Badger with the matching ported 1x12 with a V30 in it and I’m always impressed with how ‘big’ it sounds, great low end response 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 217
    edited June 18
    I am loving the Bluguitar Fatcab. It is designed to mimick the sound characteristics of old 4x12 cab. It is deeper than the average cab and it hosts a Thiele style bass port as well as some Beamblocker to get rid of the harsh on-axis sound. The sound therefore is very even in the room or on stage. I was pleasantly surprised when I first heard it in a band, it sounds as big as my 2x12 and yet it is half the weight and size!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3353
    edited June 18
    I've had 1x12s with EVs and ported Thiele Mesa cabs but I've found my Mesa Mini Rectifier (Slanted) sounds bigger than those and isn't one directional. It has a Celestion Vintage 30 in it and it's got a closed back and so I'd put it down to the design.
    It's also up for sale - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/267922/fs-mesa-boogie-mini-rectifier-1x12-slanted#latest
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    I had a Zilla Fatbaby for a bit, sounded great and with a Neo Creamback was easy to carry.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1988
    Any decent closed back 1 x 12 will provide more bottom end than an open backed cab - that's the nature of the beast. In doing that, you'll get a more directional / less airy sound.
    The Barefaced ported cabs aim to give you "best of both". I've got their FRFR version and have been very impressed.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    I had a ported Bognor cab it sounded amazing. Hughes and Kettner do a ported style cab for Thier Black Spirit range which may be worth a look 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2313
    Thanks for the recommendations. 

Definitely some food for thought. Never checked out the Barefaced stuff before so I’m finding that particularly interesting. 
  • FlotsamFlotsam Frets: 54
    edited June 19
    I have an oversized Zilla 1x12 ported with a Neo Cream and it’s absolutely fantastic - super versatile and sounds huge. The Zilla Fatbaby would be a good option, too.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 847
    I have 2 Blug fat cabs and 2 Fat Baby cabs. They all sound great but it does depend on the speakers. The Fat cabs sound great but so do the Fat Babies with the blug speakers in them. (Thomas’s versions of a V30) can’t go wrong with either really. I’ll be using the 2 fat cabs on Saturday though. I think I’ll be putting V30’s in the Zillas or one Creamback in the top one- we’ll see.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31157
    There's a Lazy J one in classifieds. They rock!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33989
    I have a Zilla ported 1x12 with a G12H Creamback in it that sounds noticeably bigger than other large 1x12 combos I’ve tried 
    I also have a Zilla 1x12 ported with a G12H Creamback.
    It is a great combination.