Quad Cortex users...

What's Hot
Hi,

I'm considering joining the club.  I've used a Kemper and AX8 in the past.

With the Kemper, I liked some of the amp models, but couldn't get on with the drive pedals....even the new ones.

The pedals on the AX8 were much better but the usability, particularly without a PC  hooked up, was naff.

I've seen a clip with Rabea modelling drive pedals.  Does that work for you?  In real life I love my Carl Martin Plexitone and would love to be able to use that.  I also like my BB Preamp.....

That's my first question.  I have more about the form factor - changing presets live with big feet.....editing......expression pedals etc....

So in fact, if you want to hit me up with any good / bad / ugly about the QC, that'd be most welcome :)

Thanks,
Andy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1543
    Form factor and ui on the quad is great. 

I've just sent one back. Froze on me 4 times in a week. 

The quality of the amps and overall sound in general on the FM3 is far better imo. Worth learning how to use the fractal interface for on the fly edits.
  • andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 60
    nero1701 said:
    Form factor and ui on the quad is great. 

I've just sent one back. Froze on me 4 times in a week. 

The quality of the amps and overall sound in general on the FM3 is far better imo. Worth learning how to use the fractal interface for on the fly edits.
    Just one example.....the global EQ on the AX8 - 10 band maybe.....on the Kemper - 3 band......all you need to 'tune' to the room.....

Do you know how that is on the FM3 / GC?
    The FM3 is 10 band. Pretty easy ri got to. 
  • onyironyir Frets: 48
    QC global EQ is a 5 band parametric EQ.
    I have been using the QC live for 3 years now. It has worked perfectly fine and the sounds are great. Mind you, I don't need niche fx. The modelled pedals sound very good. In particular I like the ToneBender MkIII, and nobels odr1 and the vemuran ray very much
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jamesguitarjamesguitar Frets: 156
    onyir said:
    I have been using the QC live for 3 years now. It has worked perfectly fine and the sounds are great. Mind you, I don't need niche fx. The modelled pedals sound very good. In particular I like the ToneBender MkIII, and nobels odr1 and the vemuran ray very much
    I’m on the fence about getting a QC (but will admit the first reply to the post is concerning).

Has it got a good micropitch algorithm? (i.e the classic Eventide effect, also in the TC Plethora etc). That effect was all over 80’s pop and rock records and I’d be using it for an 80’s show, so it’s a deal breaker for me. Soundtoys call it ‘microshift’, so may have a similar name to that.
    What's more annoying is that the eBay seller relisted it right away..
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    onyir said:
    I’m on the fence about getting a QC (but will admit the first reply to the post is concerning).

Has it got a good micropitch algorithm? (i.e the classic Eventide effect, also in the TC Plethora etc). That effect was all over 80’s pop and rock records and I’d be using it for an 80’s show, so it’s a deal breaker for me. Soundtoys call it ‘microshift’, so may have a similar name to that.
    Not sure how the micropitch algorithm works, to be honest. I have seen some presets were one side of the signal was detune by a few cents, trying to mimic Van Halen sounds. It can do that no problem. Is that it? Or does it need to vary in time, as I believe the mimiq pedal does? I don't think it can do that, although apparently a doubler is coming that should do it
  • andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 60
    edited June 20
    nero1701 said:
    What's the warranty period / cover terms and is it transferable?

*Edit* 3 years, non transferable.  Kemper warranty transfers.  Pity.
  • jamesguitarjamesguitar Frets: 156
    onyir said:
    Not sure how the micropitch algorithm works, to be honest. I have seen some presets were one side of the signal was detune by a few cents, trying to mimic Van Halen sounds. It can do that no problem. Is that it? Or does it need to vary in time, as I believe the mimiq pedal does? I don't think it can do that, although apparently a doubler is coming that should do it
    Ah that’s a different thing unfortunately. Micropitch is three separate signals (one dry, one pitched slightly higher and one pitched slightly lower). The Helix stuff can do it, as can the TC stuff (plus of course the Eventide H9 etc). It’s used on a ton of pop clean tones, not just the 80’s rock thing.
  • Norlin4lifeNorlin4life Frets: 324
    I didn’t get on with the effects in the QC. They all sounded pretty generic without any real character. I ended up using it with my mini pedal board briefly and then just traded it. I did think the amp tones were excellent though, and being able to run stereo dual amp rigs was cool.
  • ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 353
    I've had an FM3, Helix and Neural QC. QC sounded great and was very, very easy to use. Most of the time I just used a factory patch because it did the job. Sold it and have been tempted to get either an FM3 or QC again but, honestly, probably leaning more towards the FM3. FM3 on device edits took a lot of getting used to though.
    onyir said:
    Ah that’s a different thing unfortunately. Micropitch is three separate signals (one dry, one pitched slightly higher and one pitched slightly lower). The Helix stuff can do it, as can the TC stuff (plus of course the Eventide H9 etc). It’s used on a ton of pop clean tones, not just the 80’s rock thing.
    Ah, you can do that with the QC. There is a patch on the cloud of someone doing just that for a Van Halen type sound
    andyg_prs said:
    nero1701 said:
    What's the warranty period / cover terms and is it transferable?

*Edit* 3 years, non transferable.  Kemper warranty transfers.  Pity.
    Word on the street is that NeuralDSP has so far taken care of units bought second hand. Obviously, if is not the official line, it could change in the future