Which telecaster. 52ri, Broadcaster or the latest 51 reissue

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 923
edited June 18 in Guitar
On the hunt for a blackguard Tele, Not got the funds for a custom shop model so looking at the alternatives.
Interested in a 70th anniversary Broadcaster, there's a used one on eBay for £1600 which I think is a bit high.
Also on the list is a used 52 reissue or a new or used latest model American vintage 51 reissue.
Would there be much difference in the three?
Any owners of these guitars care to give any advice on what to look out for.
Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9604
    If it’s an AV1 (2012-17) I’d be all over that on the basis that whilst there’s nothing wrong with the pickups, you could change them cheaply. Flash coat nitro, great builds and almost always lightweight. Some of the best guitars Fender ever built including the golden era.

If it’s an older AV, I’d take the broadcaster, which has the added advantage of being collectible.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2278
    Play lots
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 923
    chris78 said:
    If it’s an AV1 (2012-17) I’d be all over that on the basis that whilst there’s nothing wrong with the pickups, you could change them cheaply. Flash coat nitro, great builds and almost always lightweight. Some of the best guitars Fender ever built including the golden era.

If it’s an older AV, I’d take the broadcaster, which has the added advantage of being collectible.
    chris78 said:

chris78 said:

It would probably be a new V2 version.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12578
    Depending on your view of relics I would try a roadworn tele, the later pre vintera version which is blackguard. Very nice guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9777
    edited June 18
    munckee said:
    Depending on your view of relics I would try a roadworn tele, the later pre vintera version which is blackguard. Very nice guitars. 
    I agree - the Vinteras have alder bodies, whereas the Classic Series era Roadworns are ash. I researched them a bit and a high proportion of owners seem to report a light weight - I lucked out with one off ebay which turned out to be 6.7 lb! The first generation ones are heavily reliced with very unnatural fingerboard wear, the 2nd gen are much subtler. The pickups are where corners have been cut - although they sounded ok to me, I swapped them out for Custom Shop Nocasters.

Incidentally, the Vintera Roadworns have a nitro finished neck compared to the Classic Series era ones which have a poly finish on the neck - but as it’s thin, not glossy, and has been largely sanded down it makes little difference. Some of them even have authentic-looking checking on the headstock.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2508
    I'd personally go for a 2007-2013 52 hot rod Tele.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31148
    munckee said:
    Exactly this- around 07-12 were unbelievable guitars.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

markj said:
    chris78 said:

chris78 said:

chris78 said:

It would probably be a new V2 version.
    Broadcaster then, but check the weight.
    Some were edging 9lbs
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 264
    My Broadcaster (non- custom shop) is just a shade over 6lbs, so there are light ones out there.. I haven’t played any of the others on your list but I wouldn’t trade my Broadcaster for anything - I love it.
  • hadded03hadded03 Frets: 10
    Not to add more choices and deliberation to the proceedings, but the 90s and 00s MIJ or CIJ blackguards are very well made and great playing guitars.  They were called the TL-52, typically around the £1k mark.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 794
    I picked up a B stock AVII '51 recently , possibly b stock as the neck pocket is a bit gappy. I have to keep it though. It sounds great, love the neck , 7.25 fretboard and even the low frets which kind of surprised me. A hair under 8lb and twangy , rich, piano like. I was in a similar situation to you @markj regarding custom shop . I've got both the Brad Paisely models so love the big necks, sound and the lightness but still hankered for a BG.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6173
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14760
    markj said:
    Also on the list is a used 52 reissue or a new or used latest model American vintage 51 reissue. Would there be much difference in the three?
    There are several differences between the AVRI and AV '52 replicas. The pickups, the body colour and the neck profile. 

The pre-2013 neck profile is skinny enough than it would not be out of place on a Stratocaster. The AV profile is a proper U although not quite as chunky as the CS '51 Nocaster.

The Hot Rod '52 neck is deeper but with a shallower fingerboard radius and bigger fret wire. More importantly, this model gets a Seymour Duncan SM-1n (Firebird-esque mini humbucker) in the neck position. Yum, yum!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    I've seen an American Original 52 telecaster from 2018 for sale,, what about this model?

markj said:
    I've seen an American Original 52 telecaster from 2018 for sale,, what about this model?

Less vintage correct, but that suits some people.
    9.5 radius, 6105 frets. Lacquer over poly (unlike the AVs but the same as AVRI and the AV2).
    Neck profile, pickups the same as AV1.
    Very varied in weight. Fender were running out of lightweight ash by 2018, but some around that are a good weight. I had one that was under 7lbs and it was an absolute beast of a guitar.
    What's the 6105 frets like?
    markj said:
    Taller than vintage and the most popular for a Fender
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2508
    My 52 hot rod is under 6lbs 10oz from memory, very light guitar. Enough vintage features (3 brass saddles, ash tray bridge, 5 screw blackguard) but also modern advantages (9.5 radius, greasebucket tone control) which makes it the best of both worlds. 

Mine compares very favourably with my Fender custom shop 59 Tele.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 482
    markj said:
    I have them on a 7.25 radius on a tele and they transform the guitar compared to vintage frets on the same radius. I can see why they are on so many CS guitars.