New MIJ Yamaha FS9

earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3517
They sound pretty good to my ears on my laptop.

Just over £3k. Red Spruce over mahogany or spruce.

I've never tried one of their high end Japanese models, I've read their QC is second to none.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SoupmanSoupman Frets: 252
    Thanks for sharing this.
    I nearly didn't watch it - as it was, I listened to it on my mobile, too lazy to dig out the headphones or buds.

When he first kicked off I thought it sounded like a 12 string, it was so rich in tones. What a class instrument, yes it sounded a little tight, but what tones and volume.
    One to go on the list!
     =) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 792
    edited June 24
    An alternative to the ever more expensive Martin OM28 perhaps but still expensive. The FG9 and FS9 a departure from the usual FG/FS model in that they are at a significantly higher price point and probably aimed at the American market. Lovely guitars but similar tone and yumminess are available from other makers for £1-1.5K less.

Indeed they are available from Yamaha for significantly less!
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3517
    DavidR said:
    An alternative to the ever more expensive Martin OM28 perhaps but still expensive. The FG9 and FS9 a departure from the usual FG/FS model in that they are at a significantly higher price point and probably aimed at the American market. Lovely guitars but similar tone and yumminess are available from other makers for £1-1.5K less.

Indeed they are available from Yamaha for significantly less!
    I've read the build quality of the high end Yamahas really is exceptional, and even if they have other models available for less I wouldn't dismiss these new ones without trying them first.

Soupman said:
    Thanks for sharing this.
    I nearly didn't watch it - as it was, I listened to it on my mobile, too lazy to dig out the headphones or buds.

When he first kicked off I thought it sounded like a 12 string, it was so rich in tones. What a class instrument, yes it sounded a little tight, but what tones and volume.
    One to go on the list!
     =) 

Yeah, I know what you mean about it sounding a bit little tight.  IMO, I reckon that's partly down to the red spruce soundboard.  My guitar with it sounded a bit tight to begin with but took a few years to settle in, then it sounded a bit more open.