I burst out laughing when I saw the price.

What's Hot
soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
edited June 19 in FX
It's a fuzz face. Not a magic fuzz face. I guess the market will support this stuff but honestly, and I say this as a huge fuzz face fan that has owned at least 20 in varying price points over the years and probably built the same number, the world has gone insane. 

Standard screen-printed enclosure. Nothing fancy inside.  

Free market and all that but I am immediately turned off any company that does this shit with either faux scarcity or FOMO marketing. Shame because I think Dominion's stuff sounds decent.

Stay tuned for the next episode of What grinds my gears'. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 443
    edited June 19
    Yeh, I think these pedals sound great, but I'm not spending $600 on something that's not going to be better than my Sunface.

Edit: I should caveat this by saying I bought a Dan Drive Austin Pride recently, and while the unique colourway is nice, it doesn't sound better than my Sunface. This has led me to believe that paying more than you pay for a Sunface is not worth it. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    edited June 19
    Expresso FX in the UK who do exceptional work will hand make you something with the same transistors for half that, and that is after they put their prices up once they  got known. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    soma1975 said:
    Expresso FX in the UK who do exceptional work will hand make you something with the same transistors for half that, and that is after they put their prices up once get got known. 

Yeh, they really will, and they'll cook up some mad tone bender/fuzz face combo pedal if you ask them, too.

edited June 19
    That Faceless Fuzz was meant to be the no frills budget version of their pricey 'Dominion Fuzz'.

And now that bullshit. 

It's a bargain @soma1975, can you tell it's the no frills version? 

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1289
    That's gotta be a typo. Has to be. 
    Yes the Dominion Fuzz is their fancy one with Ge and Si switches. 

The Faceless was the basic one but this has CV7003s which they are now trying to hype up as magical and rare. 

• benecolbenecol Frets: 404
    Bit of a questionable move with their branding too, considering there was a Faceless FX already in existence (RIP Tim).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It does sound pretty good tho tbf...

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1558
    Faceless FX made good stuff including the Fuzz Faceless and the amazeballs De Sade and Marquis Fuzz at much more reasonable prices.

Why did I just say amazeballs?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1558
    mo6020 said:

Imo a Fuzz Face is entirely dependant on guitar and amp (and temperature, and inductance or what have you). It forms part of a circuit so is at the mercy of the whole rig. Just my tuppence.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    GoFish said:
    mo6020 said:

Imo a Fuzz Face is entirely dependant on guitar and amp (and temperature, and inductance or what have you). It forms part of a circuit so is at the mercy of the whole rig. Just my tuppence.
    I agree, that's why all the demos for these fancy Fuzz Faces are done via Two Rocks or the most clean amps in the world. They start getting real gnarly when you have to fight amp distortion plus fuzz.

• SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1376
    There is form for this kind of BS in relation to fuzz circuits. Look at Isle of Tone … (drops IOT grenade into thread started by @soma1975 and then takes a few steps back)
    edited June 19
    There is form for this kind of BS in relation to fuzz circuits. Look at Isle of Tone … (drops IOT grenade into thread started by @soma1975 and then takes a few steps back)
    I will happily admit IOT are the high benchmark for hilarious wanker marketing of simple fuzz circuits without even rare components.

I say all this as a man selling an expensive fuzz face at the moment. But there's expensive and there's absurd. 

• NickBNickB Frets: 280
    Anyone who buys a fuzz pedal that price must be on drugs. Christ on a bike that’s eye wateringly expensive. I say this as a man who advised a friend not to buy a real Klon when they were a grand… he still hasn’t forgiven me. 
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1376
    NickB said:
    Anyone who buys a fuzz pedal that price must be on drugs. Christ on a bike that’s eye wateringly expensive. I say this as a man who advised a friend not to buy a real Klon when they were a grand… he still hasn’t forgiven me. 
    The prices reflect the target market - older men who grew up listening to 60s/70s guitar music and who have a disposable income threshold above a level where a grand here or there is, if not pocket change, not something you have to deliberate over particularly. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2280
    mo6020 said:
    Yeh, I think these pedals sound great, but I'm not spending $600 on something that's not going to be better than my Sunface.

I would give up looking for something better. I bought a bliss factory, loads of knobs, tone options, must be better. Nope. Set the 109 both knobs full and ride the guitar volume knobs. Unbeatable.

Other fuzzes are available.

They just won't be better.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353
    Absolutely ridiculous. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5010
    Nice earner for £10 worth of parts.
  • Deus1791Deus1791 Frets: 6
    I bought this directly from Analogman when they first came out, thru the mail sending a money order to pay for it!
    The last time I checked to see what they were selling for I was WTF??????

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom