Your signature amp

What's Hot
Inspired by @GASSAGE

Mine would be one of two things, a JTM45 style amp but with switchable valve and solid state recitifier to make it more suited to heavy distortion pedals, but revert back to classic sounds when I want to.

Master volume.

Also, it would have more power - perhaps 50 watts from 6l6s.

So... That's kinda a Bassman now... But in a head format.

ANYWAY

The other - a spanky fender type.  I tried a Vibrolux today and really liked that, so:

40 watts from a pair of 6l6s
Blackfacey preamp, but with a dumble-esque switch to give more mids, which should make it more versatile for rock.  Bright switch instead of a seperate bright channel. 
No tremolo.
No effects loop
Master volume
Either a 1x12, 2x12 or 2x10 - I'd need to listen to the builder's advice on which woul suit me best. 

Now, I'm no amp tech so I don't know whether PPIMV can be had on either of these or not, or whether these specs are realistically achievable, but I'd choose them because they both give a great classic clean and drive sound, take pedals great and are hopefully serviceable, too. 

I'm going to be in touch with Martin at MJW about these ideas and others - including the possibility of an Orion, which would have a blackfacey preamp and a Bogner or 6505 style preamp into a 6l6 poweramp. 

But I'm really enjoying simpler amps for the time being - I'm only using the clean channel, with pedals for dirt and I think I'm more of a funk player than anything else. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    Jubilee :D
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    edited November 2014
    At the risk of being boring- the one on the right. Honestly. And add in another channel with more gain and a reverb tank

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Gassage said:
    At the risk of being boring- the one on the right. Honestly. And add in another channel with more gain and a reverb tank

You bloody love that

Princeton

Don't you? ;)

Seriously, mine are just slightly tweaked amps... And the guitars are really just tweaked ones... 

I've never tried a Hiwatt.  I suspect that, if I took my wants to it's conclusion (stunning, deep clean tone that takes pedals great) I'd probably want one. 
    Crazy thing is, they're not silly money compared say to a new DRRI or TRRI.

And you know you'll get it back.

• AC30 combo, 5150 and Dual Rec half stacks all next to each other with mind control switching so that there is no tap dancing.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

hmmm...this is something i could write 50 different posts for...and still wont make up my mind!

right now, i think i have what my signature amp would be with the Super bass...

as an alternative, it would be a matamp GT120 with switchable attenuation and KT88's...as far as controls...simple volume, bass, mid, treb and voice/fac.

• Gassage;401681" said:
    Crazy thing is, they're not silly money compared say to a new DRRI or TRRI.

And you know you'll get it back.
    It's a bit of a minefield to get an original though, right?

• dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    Fender Princeton based with 2 x 6V6, but with 12inch speaker, mid control to dial it in with drive pedals, higher headroom so that it doesn't get ratty at volume, master volume to give girth at lower volumes, lush valve driven spring reverb, but no trem or loop for ultimate simplicity. The ultimate pedal platform basically. And make it hand-wired whilst you're at it.

I remember dreaming this up a few years ago and then discovered the Carr Sportsman ticked every box. 2 years later and amp GAS hasn't even entered my mind. This would pretty much be my signature amp.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Mesa Trem-o-verb.

I'd quite like one that was half the power, half the size and half the weight as well, but I suspect it wouldn't sound the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Gassage said:

The Hiwatt is awesome but I must say for a budget amp the Twinolux isn't that bad either.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @randomhandclaps

Since I've finally gotten everything working just so I'm finding the Twin is used more (mostly with the Princeton on too) than the old girl.

A number of reasons- one being volume levels, another being the Twin works better with my new Gibson - the Gibbo breaks the Twin up at normalish volume levels.

Anyway, I'm lucky to have the choice.

• It's a stunning set up. WANT.
  • @Gassage

Do you or did you used to have a Yamaha RA?  I know someone around here did.

I'm quite happy amp-wise but if I do plump for another in the future I quite fancy a Princeton.  Do you run your on it's own ever or always as a second amp?

Yeah- I sold it to @harryseven

They're great amps and you can get for c. £100 on fleabay

The Princeton- I have run on its own- it's pretty darn good- less warm than a tweed though.

if I were to spend £700 on one amp, I'd by a SF Twin Reverb

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32405
    My 68 Custom Princeton ticks all the boxes for me, I guess my signature would just be running a pair of them.

Ever since I bought it in January I've been curious about the difference between the 65 and the 68 specs, so I spent yesterday morning converting it to a 65 while I had the chassis out.

I couldn't wait to change it back to 68 Custom spec this afternoon after forcing myself to leave it as a 65 for a day to give it a chance through a variety of speakers.

Having satisfied my curiosity I'm even more certain that it's the perfect amp for me as it is.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    Oh that's easy. I just want an amp with a fendery clean channel (switch to go from tweed to blackface voicing), mid gain crunch channel (switch to go from vox to plexi voicing), and a high gain lead channel (switch to go from hot-rod marshall to soldano to mesa rectifier voicing). Powerscaling or something like that built-in. Oh and it weighs 5 grams.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbay;401720" said:
    AC30 combo, 5150 and Dual Rec half stacks all next to each other with mind control switching so that there is no tap dancing.
    ..And combined weight 4 grams. :D
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    forgot about the mind control switching :))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Crate Power Block would be my signature, ie its used as a back up, it doesn't sound that great and breaks down when you need it the most
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    Yeah- I sold it to @harryseven

They're great amps and you can get for c. £100 on fleabay
    I had two of them at one stage.  One was by chance one of the first amps I ever owned given to me by  a cousin and the other I picked it up in a shit state intending to repair it but never got around to it, then decided I didn't need two so sold it to none other than David Gilmour.  Astoria were buying them up for parts.