Herbie Mann - Memphis Underground

What's Hot
Acdeezee86Acdeezee86 Frets: 29
edited June 21 in Making Music
(apologies if I've posted in the wrong place!)

I really enjoy Herbie Mann's Memphis Underground album.  The first time I heard it, the fuzzy guitar on the title track really caught my attention.  Just wondering if anyone knows who that is playing and, out of sheer curiousity, any thoughts on gear?

I understand thaat Reggie Young was involved as was Sonny Sharrock - I would assume it was Sharrock in this case?

In any case it sounds great!

The solo starts around the 3 minute mark
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16396
    I don't know that music. I get the impression that Sonny had a lot of financial problems so used whatever was to hand. With Miles in 1971 seems to have been using small Fender amps driven by an Echoplex as a pre-amp so possibly that. He had an L5 and some kind of Yamaha semi so I'm sure that set up would have been on the edge of feedback all the time. Les Pauls and Marshalls from the 1980s. 
    I think often tuned down to C and used a lap steel bar for slide. Vernon Reid quotes him as an influence as does Carlos Santana. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Acdeezee86Acdeezee86 Frets: 29
    Cheers man, interesting stuff!  His work on A Tribute to Jack Johnson is also fantastic.

I've added a link to the song in question in my original post.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13049
    Never thought I'd see someone asking about Herbie Mann on here...

I've got the cd so pulled it out for some clues. 

As you can see, guitarists are listed as Larry Coryell, Sonny Sharrock, and also Reggie Young. 

On the back of the sleeve there's a studio shot - Reggie Young (?) is playing a telecaster, Sonny and Larry have what looks like an ES-175 or maybe even a 335 - possibly that Yamaha semi mentioned above. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Acdeezee86Acdeezee86 Frets: 29
    that's a cool shot and thanks for the info.
    Yeah I'd forgotten about Larry Coryell...I'm gonna go on a limb and guess that this solo doesn't like a tele or reggie