Used camera buying advice

What's Hot
BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
edited June 21 in Off Topic
I'm looking to buy a new camera set-up (preferably Fuji X-T20 or X-T30 v1 with XF 18-55 f2.8-4) but for budget reasons it'll have to be used. The likes of MPB are good but notably more expensive than places like Facebook marketplace and eBay (clearly due to the warranty and service!).

So, aside from working out the scammers from legit sales, if you were to buy a camera or lens from marketplace what do you need to look for? I guess I could ask shutter count? Do I need photos through the lens? Sample photos? Specific photos to look to dead pixels?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Thanks @RaymondLin I've had a tab with that first link open for a few days! I'm liking the XT20 over the XT2 as I'm looking for something as small and light as possible (but better than the XT200 series).

What do I need to look for if not buying from an online business though?  
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    BigMonka said:
    Thanks @RaymondLin I've had a tab with that first link open for a few days! I'm liking the XT20 over the XT2 as I'm looking for something as small and light as possible (but better than the XT200 series).

What do I need to look for if not buying from an online business though?  
    Ask for a photo of the camera sensor.
    Ask for a RAW file (of anything, a new photo).  This you can check if they actually have the camera and that it works at the time of asking. with EXIF data.  If they link it to the Fuji App, it will even show GPS location.  You can also check for hot or stuck pixels. (but some times they are hard to spot, although not a problem really as it's not a new camera and you are getting it cheap and pixels can be mapped out).

Check photos of all angles of the body.  Sign of box and accessories can be signs of how the camera is taken care of.  

As its Facebook Marketplace then I assume you are collecting? Then just test it out.  Reset the camera to factory and then bring a SD card with you to take a few photos. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2859
    What excellent practical advice 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5908
    sev112 said:
    What excellent practical advice 
    Yup, you can always count on Raymond for wisdom and diligence.

A small X-T of some sort with that lens is a fab choice for real quality at best value.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
    +1 for lce.

I do like mpb and wex as well. Regardless of where you buy, check everything on arrival - sometimes things are missed. 

And, as ever, everything Raymond says is good advice!