Power amps - home use

What's everyone using these days? 

I've had a Tube-cake TC-3w model for years now that I've used with HX, GT-1000 Core-based rigs, and more recently my IR-2,  ut I've been playing the IR-2 through the f/x loop of my Orange Terror for the last week or so and I swear it sounds better/different. Could that really be from the Orange's valve stage kicking in and adding some colour and grit at low levels still?  The flip-side is that I have far more control over the TC-3...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 920
    Over the years I’ve tried a load of power amps both at home and for gigs. These range from Rocktron, Quilter, Matrix and Harley Benton SS to Mesa, VHT/Fryette, Peavey and Marshall valve amps. Obviously, some sound better than others and that can vary dramatically depending on the preamp/processor being used. Without exception though using the same preamp, every power amp will sound different.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2457
    I bought a Warwick Gnome bass amp head last week for use with my GT-1000 and electric guitars and can’t recommend it enough. Clean, light, simple, powerful, and very transparent. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4174
    I have an EHX 5mm that I'm using with my Hotone Ampero II Stomp.

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7808
    edited June 22
    I found that the pedal preamps I have that emulate particular amps or amp channels sound pretty good through the low priced Harley Benton GPA-100 Micro Power Amp into a 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet.  I've tried the Joyo American Sound and British Sound, the Digitech Bad Monkey and Screamin' Blues, and the Mooer micro preamp pedals 007 Regal Tone and 010 Two Stone.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    I used to use a rack Marshall Valvestate. it was pretty good.

Now at home I use studio monitors for everything.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1544
    I've one of those harley benton mini power amps, great for modellers at home, i also take it as a backup amp to gigs 
  • BodBod Frets: 1349
    My son uses the EHX Magnum 44, which is very good