Used hi fi dealer

What's Hot
maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 197
Could anyone recommend a good used hi fi dealer ?
My cd player annoyingly skips intermittently on some cds. It could just be dust on the lens, and will certainly have a go at cleaning it.
 I remember seeing a thread a while back with some dealers mentioned. 
Thanks very much!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24732
    Almost certainly dust on the lens.  Any computer repair place will clean it for next to nothing.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1550
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9803
    Emp_Fab said:
    Almost certainly dust on the lens.  Any computer repair place will clean it for next to nothing.
    It’s definitely the first thing to try but I wouldn’t say that’s certainly it. I have a decent 3-year old Marantz that is now junk because it started skipping. Cleaning the lens didn’t help, neither did cleaning the rails that the optical pickup travels on (the next likely cause according to my googling). Anyway, I hope the OP gets it fixed quickly and cheaply.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24732
    Emp_Fab said:
    It’s definitely the first thing to try but I wouldn’t say that’s certainly it.
    I didn't.  I said it's almost certainly it.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3694
    You can replace the CD drive, it isnt hard.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 197
    Emp_Fab said:
    It’s definitely the first thing to try but I wouldn’t say that’s certainly it. I have a decent 3-year old Marantz that is now junk because it started skipping. Cleaning the lens didn’t help, neither did cleaning the rails that the optical pickup travels on (the next likely cause according to my googling). Anyway, I hope the OP gets it fixed quickly and cheaply.
    Thanks for all the helpful advice, cleaned the lens......no real difference. Mine is also a Marantz. Will have a look at the retro tech site. Many thanks again!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9803
    Mine didn’t just skip randomly, as you might expect with dust on the lens - it got to a certain point in the disk then jumped back a few seconds/minutes. This would repeat for as long as I left the machine on. Every disk I tried did the same thing. I did think about trying to get a spare optical pickup assembly, but didn’t seem worth the gamble of a) getting the correct part, b) being able to replace it correctly, and c) that would fix it anyway.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1010
    Eventually CD players immitate old record players it seems...
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1989
    It could be a number of things but if the CD Player is long in the tooth - the laser will loose  output power as it ages. Pretty much everything is dictated by that - error correction, and tracking information.