Gigrig G3- worth it?

rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1405
in FX
I have been running a Boss ES8 for a couple of years and was thinking about upgrading to a G3 or G3S. Does anyone have one and is it ‘worth it’? 

I am limited to 8 loops on the boss so I have to compromise as I use more than 8 pedals. 12 loops would enable greater use of pedals in fun ways. The ability to re order and split loops to get parallel paths seems to be equivalent.

The boss editor is average. So reprogramming is a bit clunky as you have to connect to a pc and do a lot of copy and paste to reorder a set. The Bluetooth functionality via the app might offer a better flexibility?

some of my pedals definitely increase gain when engaged In a loop and the Boss has no ability to adjust the gain downwards. G3 can adjust pre and post gain.

The boss has a real complex assign process which honestly I can’t be arsed to learn but the stomp box mode on g3 looks a cool option for greater functionality 

I tend to have a bank of presets per song- intro, verse, chorus, solo as a general rule in presets 1-4 and generally don’t need more per but the G3 screens would give great options for a few more cheeky presets without introducing risk of on stage cock ups.

I would think the sound quality must be at least equivalent but (and I doubt anyone has done it) does anyone have any actual experience of the 2 units?

Advice welcome
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9717
    Yes, in a nutshell.

I've owned the ES8, and a few Gigrig. The latter is superior in use and sound. 
    The Gigrig pre-amps, and the ability to change the volume at any point are worth the admission fee alone.

I genuinely believe my pedals sound better too.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33989
    I have a G3S.
    It is brilliant.

Sounds great and has all the functionality you need without being too complex.
    They did a great job with the G3S- get that one.
  • AornicAornic Frets: 492
    I've only ever used the G3 and a Quartermaster but I have no complaints with either. I'm a casual non MIDI user though. I just got the G3 to switch on multiple pedals at once and be able to change pedal order on the fly.