Oh dear I bought a guitar at auction!

What's Hot
ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
I visited a local auction house on Monday to evaluate some valuable from an estate I’m wrapping up. I noticed they had a musical instrument sale this Thursday so I purused the contents. Plenty of ‘meh’ or stuff that I already have covered in my modest arsenal. But I don’t own a 12 string so looked at the 4 they had and found a low action, straight necked, well built comfy Washburn which whilst not as toneful as the Taylor or Yamaha it did play a lot better and was without issues. 
Went back and bid for it and got it for under £230. Had it home a day or two and enjoying the variety it brings, built in pickup and hard case included, all for the price of a booteek pedal. 
Very pleased, not sure how much live work it’ll get but it’s given me options.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28042
    Does it look just like this one?

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    TTony said:
    Does it look just like this one?

;)
    Very like that. One of yours?
    ESBlonde said:
    That was the photo in the auction catalogue!

I keep meaning to go along to the auctions (it's *very* close to me), but - probably luckily - I keep forgetting when the music-gear auctions are.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7808
    edited June 22
    I would say that's a very good buy for a really nice looking electro-acoustic 12 that plays well and has a hard case.  Washburn make, and have made, some pretty good guitars over the years.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7808
    edited June 22
    TTony said:

I keep meaning to go along to the auctions (it's *very* close to me).....
    Wouldn't it be great if you were to offer a paid-for service of picking up our auction wins, packing them and shipping them? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 22
    BillDL said:
    TTony said:

Wouldn't it be great if you were to offer a paid-for service of picking up our auction wins, packing them and shipping them? 
    Quite probably @BillDL, but (some) people baulk at the £60 charge that GH levy, so I don't think it'd be viable as anything other than an very occasional one-off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19435
    edited June 22
    TTony said:
    BillDL said:
    TTony said:

Quite probably @BillDL, but (some) people baulk at the £60 charge that GH levy, so I don't think it'd be viable as anything other than an very occasional one-off.
    Good point. Without being too nosey, did the OP's paid price include the final fees?
    Without being too nosey, did the OP's paid price include the final fees?
    Hammer £180 @Kittyfrisk ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19435
    Thanks. A genuine bargain indeed then. Few & far between these days  :+1:   ;)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    TTony said:
    ESBlonde said:
    That was the photo in the auction catalogue!

I keep meaning to go along to the auctions (it's *very* close to me), but - probably luckily - I keep forgetting when the music-gear auctions are.
    I keep forgetting too, by chance I visited Monday to enter some household items from an estate sale. I saw the items all laid out in one of the sale rooms and tried a few. Come Thursday morning I completed my chores and noted online that they were still way down the low catalogue numbers so we saddled up and popped over, grabbed a coffee and sat in. I like the auction so bid on a couple speculatively without success and waited for this to come up. 

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1996
    230 quid after fees sounds very reasonable to me. Not that I have much experience of these places though.