Gibson les Paul. What do members think of this listing.

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 948
edited June 23 in Guitar

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Looks nice. Good spec on that era of Standards and that looks like a nice one
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 948
    My concern is how it’s been stored over the years.
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1658
    Part of E-bay regs are must accept paypal. Cash on collection isn't my prefered as if there is an issue with the guitar that isnt instantly evident..you've no come back
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    I can understand the question about everything working but only playing it and checking it will answer your questions- It will certainly need the frets cleaning plus probably some oil on the fingerboard- With regards to a truss rod adjustment I can’t tell Would expect anything that is an issue so just an hour on the bench for a check up and set up

Those 2002 to 2006/7 LP Standards are IMO the best non Custom Shop LPs you can buy- Not a pure replica as such but generally a nice LP
  • EsoterickEsoterick Frets: 50
    nero1701 said:
    Part of E-bay regs are must accept paypal. Cash on collection isn't my prefered as if there is an issue with the guitar that isnt instantly evident..you've no come back
    Paypal isn't the defacto method of payment on Ebay anymore and I don't think it has been for a while.

I sold some headphones last year and wasn't aware of this and when I mentioned in private messages with the buyer sending me their paypal info my message was automatically deleted with a message about trying to avoid using Ebays payment system.
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1658
    Esoterick said:
    nero1701 said:
    Paypal isn't the defacto method of payment on Ebay anymore and I don't think it has been for a while.

I sold some headphones last year and wasn't aware of this and when I mentioned in private messages with the buyer sending me their paypal info my message was automatically deleted with a message about trying to avoid using Ebays payment system.
    Ah, 
    Thanks for that, What I meant was, the seller cannot "demand" cash on collection, they have to accept all payment methods prescribed by ebay.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    edited June 23
    My approach to potential Gibson Les Paul purchases is to ALWAYS try before you buy. 

Some will be wonderful. Some will be dogs. Some need care and attention to bring the best out of them.

Evaluate as many different examples as you can before selecting the one that pleases you the most.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    That is lovely!

The pots and switch might need a bit of contact cleaner if they've been sat untouched, and it clearly hasn't been out of the case for a long time judging by the corrosion on the bridge and pickup covers. In fact, considering that corrosion, I wouldn't buy into "best example of this version available", and that price is very optimistic, IMO.

If you can get it for nearer £1800 that'd be good for an actually mint example without corrosion, so I'd be looking to pay a bit less than that given the uncared-for condition.
    Tim
  • PALPAL Frets: 601
    I can understand the question about everything working but only playing it and checking it will answer your questions- It will certainly need the frets cleaning plus probably some oil on the fingerboard- With regards to a truss rod adjustment I can’t tell Would expect anything that is an issue so just an hour on the bench for a check up and set up

Those 2002 to 2006/7 LP Standards are IMO the best non Custom Shop LPs you can buy- Not a pure replica as such but generally a nice LP
    I think this is good advice.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 766
    For that price, maybe buy a new one? You can choose colour, top, etc plus warranty.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2521
    I think it’s a bit on the high side, myself. 
    A new bridge looks pretty nailed on seeing as it’s rusty. It might be unplayed, but that isn’t necessarily a good thing. 

Will probably be like a new pair of Dr Martens. Stiff, scratchy and horrible. Decent once worn in, but I think I’d take a played example over this (seemingly forgotten about) one. 
    Nerine said:
    A new bridge looks pretty nailed on seeing as it’s rusty. It might be unplayed, but that isn’t necessarily a good thing. 

Will probably be like a new pair of Dr Martens. Stiff, scratchy and horrible. Decent once worn in, but I think I’d take a played example over this (seemingly forgotten about) one. 

timmypix said:
    That is lovely!

The pots and switch might need a bit of contact cleaner if they've been sat untouched, and it clearly hasn't been out of the case for a long time judging by the corrosion on the bridge and pickup covers. In fact, considering that corrosion, I wouldn't buy into "best example of this version available", and that price is very optimistic, IMO.

If you can get it for nearer £1800 that'd be good for an actually mint example without corrosion, so I'd be looking to pay a bit less than that given the uncared-for condition.

I’ve offered £1700 but not had any response.
    Nerine said:

Yes that’s what I was thinking.
    Offered £1700 but had no response from the seller.
    It’s been on eBay from last October.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    Nerine said:

Spot on. Definitely needs bird inlays...  ;) 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5320
    Here’s my thoughts,

1. Fretboard looks very dry 
    2. Hardware looks ‘tired’
    3. it’s about £500 overpriced 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2521
    Nerine said:

Stalker. ;)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    Nerine said:
    Nerine said:

Stalker. ;)
    Aware  ;)
  • RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 563
    edited June 25
    fnpt said:
    For that price, maybe buy a new one? You can choose colour, top, etc plus warranty.
    New ones don't typically come close to this era of LPs (granted there'll be good'uns and bad'uns in any era but as a par). As @guitars4you says - these are great Guitars. I'd actually put the 1990 ish to 2005 ish Les Pauls on a pedestal as the best Standards. 

I'd respectfully beg to differ (although your comments regarding choice and warranty are very valid) and encourage the buyer to keep looking at these circa 20 year old ones. There's a reason these LPs are banded about for the price they are on the chance someone will bite, and from time to time they do - albeit the asking price is excessive for someone (the OP) clearly being diligent on what they're willing to pay on this one. Around the £1500-1700 mark, in line with a used new collection one, you'll be laughing, barring the unlikely case it's a Friday afternoon special or sat in dodgy climactic conditions (which as others have said would be the main concern on this one). It's likely still got the lacquer overspray over the truss rod nut if it truly is unplayed, which can odd times make the first adjustment a bit of a bugger on.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    That's at least £500 too much in todays market 
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 285
    edited June 25
    If you like it take a gamble to much knit picking  here….

Id take a 2000 era  every day of the week over a brand new one.  Price wise its top of the market as in that’s the price I’d expect to see it in Denmark street about 2.2k but you would have a fair bit of wiggle room on that there.  So £1800-£1900 is reasonable imo.  

Personally I’d just take a trip to hanks they usually have a few like that to try there.