Keefy’s Guide to Kick-Ass Gigs

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 416
    edited June 30
    I've probably played more gigs on drums than guitar by this point in my 'career'; so a lot of this does come from that perspective...

First of all - under no circumstances should you pay to play. Promoters who expect you to buy tickets off them for you to sell are the living worst, and should be jailed. I usually find this happens in larger cities with younger bands starting out. At least, it did when I was on that circuit; maybe it doesn't happen now.

Further to 'case the joint' - if you get booked for/seek a gig at a pub - make sure you go first:
    • Is it a dedicated music night or special event? Say yes.
    • Are they chucking a band in the corner whilst the football is on to try and keep punters in the venue? Say no.
    • Has the pub had music on before? If not - is there even enough room to play? Are you being put around a corner or behind a pillar?
    • Are you getting *at least* £50 per member + expenses? If not, say no; and don't listen to any sob story about hard times and increased expenses. Strangely enough, that applies to all of us, not just publicans.
    • Is the gig in a function room or other room in the pub, otherwise separate from the bar area? If the answer is yes, then only play for specific functions. I've played more empty rooms this way than any other!
    There have been many occasions where the singer in the band organised gigs at venues I'd never been to, which I would've veto'd if I'd known more about it. Some of us will play in any situation; but make sure the whole band feels like that. One singer's fun gig is another drummer's absolute nightmare.

Festival tips - from someone who has both played and run small, local festivals/outdoor events...
    • If there's no PA - don't bother. A proper festival or outdoor event should have a decent stage, hired sound and lights and even a few staff to assist with running. A mouldy gazebo in a pub garden with a 4 way hanging out of the window for power does not a festival make.
    • Is there cover from the weather? As above - no stage, no cover, no gig.
    • Power should be safe in the event of inclement weather. If its not, your gear could be fried; or worse - a band mate
    • Don't expect to be paid a lot (or at all) at a small outdoor multi-band event. Be selective but don't miss out to play a decent one. Make sure you at least get expenses and food. The overheads are expensive and in my experience they always pay the bands as an afterthought. In most cases though, the fun had is worth the lower pay; especially for a decent backline and well organised event.
    • Find out about the backline. A decent festival should have at least a shell pack and bass amp.
    • If you can bear to be without your amp/the backline is decent - use it. You don't have to carry as much and the changeover will be swift
    • Speaking of which - don't make a fuss or be a primadonna. A festival needs to run smoothly for everyone to be able to play their full allotted time. You don't want to be the band that wants to replace the whole backline with their own equipment for a 20 minute slot. If you're flexible, you'll get asked back next year.
    • Make friends with the sound guys - they'll probably be there next year. If they get to know you, you get might get special treatment; like vocal and lighting effects at appropriate times. Give them your setlist - if they know the tunes they'll be happy to 'perform' along with you.
    • Drummers - the shell pack will be shit. But! You don't have to load and unload your kit before and after! I loved playing festivals for this reason. Bring your own cymbals, snare, seat and kick pedal.
    • If you're the headlining band, it might get floated to you that your backline gets used for the whole day. If you're happy with this, ask for more pay by way of rental if you think thats feasible; and/or don't use your best gear. Anything could happen. Personally, I wouldn't do it unless you know all the acts on the bill.
    • Enjoy the chaos of a festival - if you lean into the compromise, you'll relax and enjoy the unique environment of an outdoor show. Festivals are, by far, my favourite gigs to play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3115
    Usually I try to get a good pre match meal but buffet etiquette is pretty simple: seek permission in advance and let guests eat first. We usually get the green light to grab some food but always wait until the queue dies down. Bowling up at the front saying "I'm effing starving" isn't a thing. Try to eat discreetly so it doesn't seem like you think it's your party. Sometimes, they'll come back at the end and offer you more food as they don't want it to go to waste. Just remember, don't stuff your face in front of everyone.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28140
    Phenomenal post from @colourofsound - I agree with every word. 

Re food per @mudslide73 it's also a good idea to bring your own, or at least snacks (and especially if you have any dietary requirements). You might have the most watertight contract in the world stating food will be provided but if there isn't any you don't want to be playing hungry! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom