Best quality power supply for just one pedal?

What's Hot
ReflexReflex Frets: 64
in FX
Hi Guys

Can you help with recommendations for a quality power supply for just one pedal?  I’m running my compressor (20 ma) from my Voodoo Labs pedal power and it seems somewhat overkill.

That said when I plug the compressor into my wallwart it looses some of the sound quality.  I’d rather keep the voodoo labs, than get a single power source and loose sound quality. 

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rickd2112arickd2112a Frets: 51
    edited June 24
    I would say Truetone 1-Spot
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1735
    I would sat Truetone 1-Spot
    +1
  • ReflexReflex Frets: 64
    I saw this and it looks perfect.  However has anyone tried one in comparison to an established (Voodoo Labs, Strymon, etc) isolated power supply?  Does it offer the same quality in terms of power and sound?
  • rickd2112arickd2112a Frets: 51
    I use a Truetone CS6 which I believe is based on the same design approach but with 6 isolated outputs. It's very good and as near silent as I could expect. 
    Others can chip in with their experience but I would assume it will be good for your needs.

Alternatively Strymon also sell their Walwart style separately - this is the same one they supply with the Timeline, El Cap etc. I've used one of those as a separate PSU as well - again no issues.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I would sat Truetone 1-Spot
    +1
    +2
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30227
    Reflex said:
    I saw this and it looks perfect.  However has anyone tried one in comparison to an established (Voodoo Labs, Strymon, etc) isolated power supply?  Does it offer the same quality in terms of power and sound?
    The 1-spot has been around, and well rated, for decades. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    edited June 24
    The owner of this shop used to sell his power supplies on Evilbay and they're excellent, quiet, powerful and do the job.
    I know you don't need another 5 outlets or as much power but at £20, it's a useful thing and very good.

https://www.fxpedal.co.uk/accessories-c31/power-supplies-c44/fxpedal-9v-dc-regulated-power-supply-with-integrated-6-way-daisy-chain-straight-tips-p203

Edit: Bugger..they're out of stock but I'm not sure if he can build you a single
  • ReflexReflex Frets: 64
    Thanks All.  Sounds like the 1 spot should tick the box.  Just for the record, one of my wall
    warts works noiselessly with my compressor, but it was only when I plugged it into the voodoo labs that I noticed the sound quality significantly improved.  I guess there’s only one way to test if there’s any difference with the 1 spot…
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4909

Can you not just get a small daisychain adapter and power the compressor with another pedal from the VL?  Assuming it’s analog, it should be okay with another analog pedal.  Intend to isolate what needs isolating and combine what can be combined to save outputs.  Not everything needs to be isolated, but most things do at least need good clean power to start with.

Might be worth testing the offending adapter with a multimeter and check the voltage, then compare to the VL.

The One Spot should be okay, but may be the pedal just doesn’t like switch mode power supplies.  

But I can’t help think it’s somehow voltage related and the offending adapter is not putting out what it should do, since it is not a noise issue.