SH Tele 500k pots & 470k resistor - doesn’t sound right

What's Hot
RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 954
edited June 24 in Making & Modding
Finally got round to fitting 500k pots on my squier cv Tele after sticking a humbucker in it a while ago.

my plan was to use this wiring as I didn’t fancy the
middle position being bright.

I ran into a small problem in the lugs on the squier 3-way switch are different:

I tried both empty lugs for the 470k resistor & neither sounds great. Basically sounds like the bridge pickup without any bass.

Any suggestions as to what I might have missed? Oh, and yes it’s lefty so everything is flipped.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74502
    If you didn’t want the middle position bright you’ve got it the wrong way round - you want 250K in the middle. It’s very easy to do this, just wire the switch as normal and connect the resistor from the bridge pickup terminal to ground.

(Actually you always want it like that, since the bridge pickup dominates in the middle position due to its lower impedance.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 954
    ICBM said:
    If you didn’t want the middle position bright you’ve got it the wrong way round - you want 250K in the middle. It’s very easy to do this, just wire the switch as normal and connect the resistor from the bridge pickup terminal to ground.

(Actually you always want it like that, since the bridge pickup dominates in the middle position due to its lower impedance.)
    Thanks- don’t know why I didn’t try that after discovering that this doesn’t work for me. I’d read the middle position can be dominated by the neck pickup at 250k (& be too bright), so that’s why I sought out this other way. It’s a simple change so will give it a go & see how that sounds. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2590
    The other option would be to leave the tone control at 250k and wire the neck pickup to bypass the tone control entirely
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15282
    I ran into a small problem in the lugs on the Squier 3-way switch are different
    Visualise the CRL selector switch contacts thus.

C 1 2 3
    1 2 3 C

The Asian eight-in-line switch is 

1 2 3 C C 1 2 3

Simply translate your first schematic diagram to suit the budget switch.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    As Funkfingers mentioned.  Switches are split into two distinct sides that can be used independently.  To work for most purposes a wire is used to connect the "Common" lug (C) on one side to the common lug on the other side on wafer switches.  In the enclosed "import" switch the two (C) common lugs are adjacent to each other in the middle.  These are often already joined together, but if they aren't already joined it's pretty easy to bridge them with a wire.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15282
    it’s lefty so everything is flipped.
    Does that statement extend to the new 500k pots?

Connecting up right-handed audio/logarithmic resistance taper pots in a left-handed stylee is going to screw things up somewhat. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom