On the joys of dull albums

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 705
    GoFish said:

FWIW, I think you and @Litterick do also agree more than you don't, without getting bogged down in semantics. I  think, when discussing broader treands, we are all outliers just by virtue of being interested enough in music to talk about it.
    Almost certainly on both counts!
    Yes, indeed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12582
    Kurtis said:
    What about live albums like live after death?

I like live albums, mostly because they can be more dynamic. I’d got into the habit of only listening to live albums by King Crimson, basically because there are umpteen iterations of the band and they all played the “hits” in a different style, plus they often did lots of improvs on the original theme. It’s been quite refreshing to go back to the original studio albums recently and listen to them again though. 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 924
    U2's The Joshua Tree is interesting with regards to track placement. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73539
    Kurtis said:
    Even more so, it was sequenced by Kirsty MacColl.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4903
    Are people using music as a background sound whilst their focus is on something else? Or are they listening to an album from start to finish and doing nothing else other than focusing on the music? 

I think our opinions and answers will depend in part on that. 
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 373
    edited July 6
    Are people using music as a background sound whilst their focus is on something else? Or are they listening to an album from start to finish and doing nothing else other than focusing on the music? 

I think our opinions and answers will depend in part on that. 
    Good headphones for critical listening and various types of speakers for background.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 924
    ICBM said:
    Kurtis said:
    Even more so, it was sequenced by Kirsty MacColl.
    Yeah, and it just goes from her most favourite tune to least favourite. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73539
    Kurtis said:

I think that's probably a reflection on how great an album it is - the songs are so good that more or less any order would work. Some albums are like that, others less so...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    ICBM said:
    Kurtis said:

I think that's probably a reflection on how great an album it is - the songs are so good that more or less any order would work. Some albums are like that, others less so...
    There are a few albums where I have to play the tracks on shuffle to add a surprise element, or I simply fall asleep before the end.  Black Sabbath's 13 was one of those, and all the recent Metallica albums.