MXR Micro Flanger- does it do the Van Halen Unchained/Jet Plane tone?

Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
edited November 2014 in FX
Hi everyone,

Will the MXR Micro Flanger do the VH Unchained/Jet Plane thing? I think the bigger MXR Flanger will, but it's almost twice the price and twice as big, and to add insult to injury is 18V and half-assed bypass :))

Or is there anything else I should be considering around the same price (~£75) which is a similar size (I don't have room for a big pedal) and ideally runnable off a standard 9V power supply?

Thanks for your help :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2950

I think pretty much every flanger will do the jet plane thing, with the exception of the EHX Mistresseseses.

I did like the Micro Flanger I had, but in the end I sold it and kept my Boss BF2, which is difficult to dial in but can do much more, IMO.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I prefer the MXR to the Boss, as it's simpler to use.

Yes it does the Van Halen thing pretty well. I think EVH has used MXR flangers throughout his career. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Yes it does.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    ^ Excellent, thanks. :)
    Bidley said:

I think pretty much every flanger will do the jet plane thing, with the exception of the EHX Mistresseseses.

I did like the Micro Flanger I had, but in the end I sold it and kept my Boss BF2, which is difficult to dial in but can do much more, IMO.

Thanks. :) Yeah I chickened out of that neo mistress in the guitar village sale because I was told it didn't do the EVH thing. You got it, didn't you? :D

I don't really need more (famous last words :)) ), the extra simplicity would be a benefit since I'm an idiot. :)) I'd also probably prefer new, the BF2 has been discontinued for some time, hasn't it?
    mike_l said:

I prefer the MXR to the Boss, as it's simpler to use.

Yes it does the Van Halen thing pretty well. I think EVH has used MXR flangers throughout his career. 

Thanks. Yeah I think EVH has used MXRs, just I think he normally used the bigger one (could be wrong). Just making sure the micro one can do that type of tone as well. I know on the MXR site it says the micro version can get the tones of the bigger one, but then they're hardly going to talk it down, either. :))
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    The Microflanger is better (IMO) for the Van Halen sound than the Boss units. I know he used an MXR Phase 90 (old type/script logo) for the early recordings, and I think an MXR flanger (possibly ADA, but I think it was MXR)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• You could always get the MXR EVH Flanger, it has a button for the exact Unchained sound - apparentlym
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    edited November 2014
    ^ Yeah. That would actually be quite handy since you could use the button for the unchained setting, and then set the knobs to another setting. Almost like having 2 pedals in one.

Only problem is it has the same problems as the bigger MXR Flanger- too big, too expensive, 18V and half-assed bypass. The last two aren't the end of the world, but the first two are pretty serious. :)) If I had more money and more space it'd likely be at the top of my list, though. :)
    mike_l said:
    The Microflanger is better (IMO) for the Van Halen sound than the Boss units. I know he used an MXR Phase 90 (old type/script logo) for the early recordings, and I think an MXR flanger (possibly ADA, but I think it was MXR)
    Thanks. That's interesting. Since the unchained thing is the main thing I want it for, that's pretty important.

As I said, I thought he used an MXR too, but I could well be wrong, I don't religiously search out all the info I can find on famous players' gear, as long as I can get into the ballpark I'm normally happy.

Just out of interest, has anyone compared the Micro Flanger to the MXR full-sized (and/or EVH) Flanger? And if so, how close does the micro one get?
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2950
    Dave_Mc said:

Thanks. :) Yeah I chickened out of that neo mistress in the guitar village sale because I was told it didn't do the EVH thing. You got it, didn't you? :D

I don't really need more (famous last words :)) ), the extra simplicity would be a benefit since I'm an idiot. :)) I'd also probably prefer new, the BF2 has been discontinued for some time, hasn't it?

I did get one, but it didn't do much I couldn't do with the Stereo Electric Mistress and BF2 I have, so I sent it back :D Nice pedal for what it does though.

And yeah if you prefer new, the MF is the preferable choice. I'm looking at getting another one to muck around with myself...

LOL

And thanks. I reckon I'll probably take a chance on the micro flanger, just depends on when I get round to ordering it.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I just got one secondhand off here
    It does that sound :)
    Excellent, thanks :)
  • I had one (passed back and forth with travisthedog) I wasn't using it and needed the cash so it's off to a new home now....but I'd certainly buy one again...so if you get one and don't like it can I call first dibs? ;-)
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    It works better (for me anyway) in front of the drive pedal. same with the phase 90 if you are looking for THAT sound
    ^ Thanks. Yeah I already have the phase 90 that I picked up in the Guitar Village sale. And yeah I run it in front, as you said, modulation seems to be a bit more natural-sounding in front of dirt.
    I had one (passed back and forth with travisthedog) I wasn't using it and needed the cash so it's off to a new home now....but I'd certainly buy one again...so if you get one and don't like it can I call first dibs? ;-)
    Sure, but this is me, and the odds of me selling anything are pretty slim :)) So don't hold your breath. :))