Hollow Body Guitar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8480

GuyBoden said:
    Hollow body guitars with laminate tops sound totally different than hollow body guitars with carved tops, but the laminate tops are less prone to feedback.

I'll say this again for the unaware:
    Feedback is the problem when using hollow body guitars at gig level volume.
    Brian Setzer manages it just fine. I’ve seen tonnes of live bands play hollow bodies, all managed fine. 
    Just follow some sensible rules, not a problem. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2147
    Basher said:
    Do any of these hollow bodies or semi acoustic type guitars (which I love look of BTW) have wider nuts than these 43mm models? 44mm or 44.5mm and above at least.
    The newer Eastman T64s have got a 1.72" nut (43.7mm) which mine has. 
    This model originally had a 1.75" nut (44.5mm) so I'm assuming that would be more to your liking.

Personally, I held out for one with the slightly narrower nut width. I'd actually prefer a narrower-still, standard 1 11/16" Gibson width but the 1.72" (sorry to mix measurements from fractions to decimals but that's what I know them as), while fairly wide, feels ok to me.
    I only know that 1 and 3/4 is about 45mm therefore I tend to look for that measurement,if possible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 456
    Playing hollowbody guitars live is absolutely fine provided you learn how to control (when wanted) or avoid (when not wanted) feedback. It's pretty straightforward, generally speaking.

It's been done for decades and that includes artists playing massive venues with very loud stage levels, as previously mentioned.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1101
    I've gigged with a white falcon pretty much exclusively all year.

Although there is a learning curve with feedback, it doesn't take long tbh. 

There's something so fun and alive about a big, hollow body guitar.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11878
    tFB Trader
    I've gigged with a white falcon pretty much exclusively all year.

Although there is a learning curve with feedback, it doesn't take long tbh. 

There's something so fun and alive about a big, hollow body guitar.
    Exactly this ... My Gretsch is quite happy with my Peavey Classic 30 run LOUD provided I watch where I stand and turn down between numbers - the master volume on the bottom horn is handy for that.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 806
    susbemol said:
    Playing hollowbody guitars live is absolutely fine provided you learn how to control (when wanted) or avoid (when not wanted) feedback. It's pretty straightforward, generally speaking.

It's been done for decades and that includes artists playing massive venues with very loud stage levels, as previously mentioned.

I was informing players who are new to hollow body guitars about the feedback problems.

At gigs, don't stand in front of your amp with a hollow body guitar, stand at the side. 

Or in cramped settings, have only the neck in front of the amp, not the guitar's body.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    edited June 29
    GuyBoden said:

At gigs, don't stand in front of your amp with a hollow body guitar, stand at the side. 

Or in cramped settings, have only the neck in front of the amp, not the guitar's body.
    It’s also the one time it’s probably better to have the amp on the floor pointing at the back of your legs than tilted or raised so it’s pointing at where the guitar is.

Turning the amp sideways - especially if it’s open-back, so the guitar is roughly at the null point between the sounds coming from the front and back of the amp (they’re theoretically out of phase, so there will be cancellation especially of low frequencies) can also help.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BasherBasher Frets: 1247
    GuyBoden said:
    That's nice

Thanks. It's an AKJV95, apparently.

I wanted a cheap-ish "jazzbox" (despite having no jazz chops). Read that the Ibanez' are good value and really like the natural colour - a nice change from the typical sunburst. Nice "thunky" sound too.

I'm under no illusions that it's as good as an ES-175, Guild jazzer or suchlike but decent value at around £500.