Kahler Locking Trem Help Needed!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• deloreandelorean Frets: 237
    Philly_Q said:
    delorean said:
    Gizmo said:
    I kind of recall that the grub screw accessed on the rear of the trem body locks the arm inplace (its been 20 years since i looked at one of these though)
    Unbelievably, I hadn't even spotted this grub screw hole - there's no screw in it, but there's definitely a hole there!
    If I remember right, there was a little piece of hard plastic in that hole, which the grub screw pressed against the trem arm....

And you can still buy spares:

https://whammyparts.com/manufacturer/tremolo-and-bridge-systems/make-model/kahler-replacement-parts/25xx-traditional/results,1-0

Oof $18 shipping to the UK :o   Very useful site though, if I can't find the bits anywhere else, then at least I know I can get them here, thank you! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15225
    edited June 26
    Whammy Parts has a fixed export shipping price, regardless of whether you order one grub screw or half a dozen flatmount Pro vibrato systems.

The trick is either to order enough goods to justify the shipping charge or club together with other Kahler enthusiasts. 

If you are feeling entrepreneurial, order as many 2500/2520 vibrato arms as possible. Owners always seem to lose those. They are a ready market for selling on to.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15382
    tFB Trader
    Chances are you'll find a Strat bridge saddle grub screw that will fit - Which one I don't know - But I bet one size will fit - Be it metric or Imperial 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13906
    You can put a small spring under the Trem arm so inside the thread section of the block- It does work and Fender suggest this and sell them

https://www.fender.com/en-GB/parts/bridges/american-series-stratocaster-tremolo-arm-tension-springs/0994931000.html
    I used this on a US Strat I used to own (non-locking trem) and it worked perfectly.
  • FezFez Frets: 573
    I have a strat from the same time with the Kahler trem. I don't know what size the grub screw is but it will be imperial rather than metric.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4406
    edited July 2
    Habanero said:
    PTFE tape?
    Think insulating tape. Parcel tape or sellotape would probably disintegrate easily.

PTFE tape?

Thanks both - I was actually suggesting PTFE tape to the OP, rather than asking what it was; I think Wez and I must have replied at about the same time
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)