Merchant City Music: Legends!

What's Hot
KeefyKeefy Frets: 2464
A while back I bought a Reverend Soft Spring (Bigsby vibrato accessory) online from Merchant City Music. It came with a Reverend Guitars plectrum which I found I really liked - and I mean really liked. I searched online and turned up a lot of Reverend Willy's products, but the only stockist I could find for the Reverend plectrum was the manufacturer's own US website. Great, I thought, I'll order some. Nope, they ship to the whole world except the UK. I left it.

But the thought wouldn't go away, so I set up an order to my son in Spain. $21 to ship some plectrums? No thanks.

It occurred to me that Merchant City Music might be able to get some added to their next order, so I fired them an email, more in hope than expectation. Imagine my surprise when they replied saying that they had a bag full, and how many did I want? I ordered a quantity from them, but before invoicing me they had the presence of mind to take photos of what they had - how disappointing, they were a new design (see below). So that was that.

But no, the good folks at Merchant City combed through their bag of Reverend plectrums and found a bunch that looked to be made of the same material, so I bought 'em. They also kindly chucked in an example of the newer design.

They didn't have to do any of this, especially not when my order value (excluding postage) was under £10, so I can only commend them on their fantastic customer service!

The 'original' Reverend plectrum that came with the Soft Spring:

The slightly different ones that I bought (same material and feel, different logo):

The newer design - a bit thinner, badged 'Tortex', and not dissimilar to a Fender medium plectrum:

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3477
    edited June 27
    They’re great guys. I’ve had nothing but excellent experiences with them. 
    I bought a railhammer pickup from them that had cosmetic damage. They told me to keep it see if I really liked the pickup and if not I could have a refund.  in the meantime they’d order me a replacement. True to their word a few weeks later the replacement turned up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MarchMarch Frets: 300
    I'll back the positive experiences and dealings with Merchant City, I've had nothing but positive dealings with the and they always seem willing to go the extra yard, as the OPs post demonstrates. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1655
    Yep, me too. I bought a Fender Mustang hardcase from MCM which sadly transpired to be a dud.

Not their fault as it was in a sealed box. 

Gotta say, their customer service in organising the return and refund was amazing. Friendly, sympathetic and efficient. I’m not really buying any more new guitars, however if I was I wouldn’t hesitate to go to them first.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25003
    I bought from them a while ago and found them great to deal with.
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 876
    It is always good to read positive reports on forums, these sort of reviews mean more to me than the ones attached to products or general review sites (though they do have there place).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2817
    I have an affection for MCM dating from the early 90s when I was friends with the guys that ran the shop - none of them are involved now unsurprisingly. The shop was in a different location and had a recording studio downstairs. It was very closely associated with the burgeoning music scene centered across the road at the original 13th Note on Glassford Street, where the likes of Mogwai etc came in to being.

Anyway... Bit of a digression... The current day shop is great and first place I go if I'm buying something new.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2147
    I have bought two or three guitars from them and never had any problems at all. I too like them a lot.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2817
    And I always thought them securing the guitar.co.uk domain name showed how commercially savvy they were.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8975
    I'm looking forward to having a bit of free time on my hands during the day as I cease work soon, and I really want to visit the store in person again after many, many years of buying online.
    BillDL said:
    I'm looking forward to having a bit of free time on my hands during the day as I cease work soon, and I really want to visit the store in person again after many, many years of buying online.
    I hope the bricks and mortar store is as good as their online presence. If I were ever in Glasgow I'd try to make an excuse to pop in. They stock the Sigma brand too,which I like a lot,despite me moving on the guitar I bought from Merchant City. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1771
    ewal said:
    And I always thought them securing the guitar.co.uk domain name showed how commercially savvy they were.

I knew the person who originally secured that address in the 90s, not for MCM.  It always amuses me to see it in use.

I'll add my voice in praise of them. Whatever I have ordered has arrived in good shape and in good time. I trust em, which is not to be said lightly.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • KevSKevS Frets: 624
    edited June 28
    I got a couple of the same springs via Merchant City, about a week ago..Very pleased with the improvements..

Having various colours of Tortex Picks of the same shape to hand as well as the Reverend picks that came with the springs ..Checking flexibility a few times..I reckon you have a Tortex Yellow .73 mm. dressed in white,much easier to find..The Orange .60 mm flexes a bit more.....Mine are the darker logo with Tortex written on the reverse,,just reading again,the earlier plectrums are a different material..

I've also had good experiences with Merchant City who weighed a guitar for me prior to deciding whether to buy it.. I also had a neck break on a guitar while in transit..It was collected and replaced by mail in about 24 hours..They did try to sell me the guitar for a discount saying it was probably a crack in the paint,it was sub zero temperatures at the time...I didn't take up their offer..They are friendly and accomodating..

I've lived most of my life in Edinburgh and find Weegies really helpful,usually humorous and often friendlier too..

KevS said:
    I got a couple of the same springs via Merchant City, about a week ago..Very pleased with the improvements..

Having various colours of Tortex Picks of the same shape to hand as well as the Reverend picks that came with the springs ..Checking flexibility a few times..I reckon you have a Tortex Yellow .73 mm. dressed in white,much easier to find..The Orange .60 mm flexes a bit more.....Mine are the darker logo with Tortex written on the reverse,,just reading again,the earlier plectrums are a different material..

I've also had good experiences with Merchant City who weighed a guitar for me prior to deciding whether to buy it.. I also had a neck break on a guitar while in transit..It was collected and replaced by mail in about 24 hours..They did try to sell me the guitar for a discount saying it was probably a crack in the paint,it was sub zero temperatures at the time...I didn't take up their offer..They are friendly and accomodating..

I've lived most of my life in Edinburgh and find Weegies really helpful,usually humorous and often friendlier too..

I had to read that again before realising Weegies is not a music store and slang for the residents of Glasgee.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8975
    Yes, GlasWEEGIan
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 659
    I also bought one of these Reverend springs from them a while back and they didn't send me any free picks.
    WAAAH I HATE THEM! I WANT ALL THE FREE STUFF!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom