E-Bow - Have you used one, or own one

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    edited June 28
    Honestly I think the ebow and sustainiac are similar but different in quite complimentary ways. I have the former but would very much like something with a sustainer as well. EOB Strat is the most obvious option but like @rsvmark I'm well covered for Strats already. 

A Manson would be fun though.. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4233
    Bought mine 24 years ago. Still as good as new, still got the black pouch it lives in, the box, and the cassette with the instructions from the guy who tells you to find "the hot spot". Love it!
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4233
    Philtre said:
    ...the instructions from the guy who tells you to find "the hot spot". Love it!

Here's the hotspot guy:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 276
    rsvmark said:
    but wouldn’t want an elbow
    I can't manage without an elbow.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20535
    steveh said:
    rsvmark said:
    but wouldn’t want an elbow
    I favour sharp ones.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2817
    Philtre said:
    Philtre said:
    ...the instructions from the guy who tells you to find "the hot spot". Love it!

Here's the hotspot guy:

Exactly. Volume is pretty easy to control.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3416
    Purchased one new in about 1998/9 for iirc £79. I’d say the inflation on them since has been very reasonable compared to that of many products. Used it loads for a while, although barely touched it for years. Think the last thing was on this 12 years ago (ebow ensemble commences around 3:40ish): https://music.apple.com/gb/album/powerframe/555650057?i=555650111
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    steveh said:

Having tried, I agree.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2147
    You can have one too many elbows though.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10970
    I always used mine with the Stellacaster and the EMG's on that made the Ebow more hit and miss in operation. It basically either fail to sustain or go apeshit in sustained volume. So I had a patch that was compressed with a halo octave and after a few gigs I got the hang of it. 

It's a good visual thing for the audience, something a bit different. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    You can have one too many elbows though.
    Does that include the band?

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    I have one which I bought about a year ago from thomann. I haven't used it much but am glad I bought it most definitely and do need to use it more.

Steve rothery from marillion and bassist Michael manring are both great exponents of using one oh and nels cline too.
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    Loved all of mine. I've had one ever since I first saw Stuart Adamson and Dave Fielding wielding theirs.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1574
    I still have mine form the 70's, with the leather holster that clips to your belt and the chrome finish.  I got it when Dixie was importing them.  It's not something I use a lot, but occasionally it is great for an effect.  It is also good for playing reverse sounding guitar leads.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15382
    tFB Trader
    PhilKing said:
    I still have mine form the 70's, with the leather holster that clips to your belt and the chrome finish.  I got it when Dixie was importing them.  It's not something I use a lot, but occasionally it is great for an effect.  It is also good for playing reverse sounding guitar leads.
    It was Dixie I was chatting to that started this post
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2147
    mikem8634 said:
    Loved all of mine. I've had one ever since I first saw Stuart Adamson and Dave Fielding wielding theirs.
    I wondered how Big Country got that sound and didn't even consider the use of an E Bow.
    I wondered how Big Country got that sound and didn't even consider the use of an E Bow.
    E-Bow and MXR Pitch Transposer are the main components - the HH amp isn’t critical, although it’s quite distinctive in the early Big Country.

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3583
    mikem8634 said:
    It's not the Big Country sound but you can hear an EBow in various places, e.g. A Thousand Stars (outro around  3:18), The Storm (intro), Lost Patrol (intro), etc.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3583
    ICBM said:
    E-Bow and MXR Pitch Transposer are the main components - the HH amp isn’t critical, although it’s quite distinctive in the early Big Country.
    And great playing and orchestration ;)
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1574
    PhilKing said:
    It was Dixie I was chatting to that started this post
    How's he doing?  It's a long time since I last saw him (probably 15years or so).  He used to bring in some amazing stuff.  When I was at JSG, he was a regular visitor and we ordered a lot from him.