How safe is buying a guitar through 'Reverb'?

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4960
edited June 29 in Guitar
I've bought quite a bit of music gear from Ebay and touchwood I've only ever had good experiences. Nevertheless, Ebay and PayPal protections are reassuring just in case.

However, I've never bought anything from Reverb and whilst there's a few guitars on there that I might be interested in, I'm concerned re safety and buyer protection.

How does Reverb work as compared to Ebay for ecxample and what are the pros, cons and safety considerations for buyers? 
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1691
    edited June 29
    As a buyer, you essentially get the same protection as you would from eBay. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    I’ve bought and sold a bunch through it without any trouble so far :)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5625
    I’ve bought a load of stuff from Reverb and never had a single issue. Never sold anything but at the moment it’s a massive scam target, so if you ever do sell be wary of the instant message that comes virtually right when you list saying “Congrats, your item sold, but we need to verify your bank details in order to complete payment” with a dodgy af link attached that will phish the life out of you and your current account if you’re not clever enough to not click on it. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4960
    Thanks for the reassurance guys.  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3935
    Zero issues. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5114
    Never use Paypal F&F to pay (of course).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1212
    Very safe. But prices are going up and up. 
  • stevebsteveb Frets: 42
    Whitecat said:
    I’ve bought a load of stuff from Reverb and never had a single issue. Never sold anything but at the moment it’s a massive scam target, so if you ever do sell be wary of the instant message that comes virtually right when you list saying “Congrats, your item sold, but we need to verify your bank details in order to complete payment” with a dodgy af link attached that will phish the life out of you and your current account if you’re not clever enough to not click on it. 
    I signed up to reverb a week ago to sell my powercab. Got a notification on friday morn to say it had sold, and needed to verify my bank details. As it was via the reverb app i presumed it wasnt a scam, entered my details, only to be told i need to have £600 in the account. The pop up web chat thing was so rude, i cancelled the order and cancelled my account. Is this the scam?? How can they do this in app??
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    I bought my most expensive ever guitar, a Rickenbacker, from Germany on Reverb, it was seamless. 

I can't exactly remember all the checks I made in advance of payment, but it must have been pretty reassuring for me to do that. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6310
    Bought a couple of instruments via Reverb without any drama (if you don’t count the French seller who passed my brand new, clean email address to French spammers who then inundated my inbox with French junk mail).
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5625
    steveb said:
    Whitecat said:
    I signed up to reverb a week ago to sell my powercab. Got a notification on friday morn to say it had sold, and needed to verify my bank details. As it was via the reverb app i presumed it wasnt a scam, entered my details, only to be told i need to have £600 in the account. The pop up web chat thing was so rude, i cancelled the order and cancelled my account. Is this the scam?? How can they do this in app??
    they are just using Reverb’s internal messaging system, stuff sent gets shown through the app as well as via the main website. Absolutely rife with it right now and I’m not sure what Reverb is doing to counter it. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7406
    I bought a flying V from there. No other guitar for sale on there will be as good as my V.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2502
    No problems buying or selling. Only issue was a courier that lost it
  • HoofHoof Frets: 562
    Bought guitars, amps and FX off there. No real issues. Same protection as ebay, more or less. Sold quite a bit there. Only had had one weirdo but resoved fine eventually.
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 1410
    I bought a pedal through reverb which was faulty. The seller was difficult and didn’t want to take it back and issue a refund, so after me contacting Reverb they asked if I’d be happy with a partial refund…which I accepted.
       To be fair I couldn’t have asked for a better service.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 894
    steveb said:
    Whitecat said:
    There are scams in there, you get a message to say there’s an offer, but it isn’t really. Don’t click the link in the message and report to reverb. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3219
    My purchases through Reverb have allowed payment using PayPal, never had an issue
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1533
    No issues, just the fees from a sellers point of view screw you a bit. Some prices on there are way too high. I usually throw up stuff sometimes way higher than I expect to sell, and wait for the offers! :) 
  • SteppedOutSteppedOut Frets: 36
    Only thing I use Reverb for is buying and selling pedals.

Guitars and amps I want to try it out before I buy it. I've been burnt too many times with online sales.