anyone own a static caravan?

What's Hot

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7393
    Ive had a VW T6 camper for just over a year and it wouldn't be an over estimation to say its changed our lives (for the better). We previously had a place in Spain which was great but too hot most of the year and the upkeep wasn't cheap - plus its the same location 4 or 5 times a year.

We can now go anywhere at the drop of a hat and because we've just dropped down to 3 days a week at work (Tues, Wed, Thurs) we've been bumbling down to Cornwall and Devon a lot with the dogs and really enjoying it. Planning on a trip to France later in the year and maybe further afield next summer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 1010
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15985
    Ive had a VW T6 camper for just over a year and it wouldn't be an over estimation to say its changed our lives (for the better). We previously had a place in Spain which was great but too hot most of the year and the upkeep wasn't cheap - plus its the same location 4 or 5 times a year.

We can now go anywhere at the drop of a hat and because we've just dropped down to 3 days a week at work (Tues, Wed, Thurs) we've been bumbling down to Cornwall and Devon a lot with the dogs and really enjoying it. Planning on a trip to France later in the year and maybe further afield next summer.
    yeah, that's the thing about my job is the hours are very compressed. So I tend to get runs of 4 or 5 days of couple of times a month usually. Be nice to take advantage of that.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1372
    They are exactly what you expect. 

My parents have always had one somewhere or other.  For a time in Wales, then the Vendée, then Wales again.  They're great for a free holiday if you know someone that has one, but as an ownership prospect I think they're absolute madness. 

If you love somewhere enough to want to holiday there exclusively then do that it takes to buy an actual property.   The outlay for a static is huge.  If you can't stretch to a property then just find somewhere that will do you a deal for regular stays.

All the mobile alternatives have drawbacks, but at least are not stuck somewhere.

My folks lost a fortune over the years on them.  Could easily have bought a modest cottage in Wales.  The site owners rub their hands together when someone walks in to potentially buy.  They've just got you in this trap.  You can't sell the thing because you'll be in negative equity immediately unless you were mad enough to buy it outright, so you are stuck paying site fees or a massive fee to move the thing. 

You also HAVE to make it your only holiday destination, which is also madness unless you love the place enough to find a way to buy an actual property.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @sinbaadi thanks mate, good to get your experiences with your folks, very valuable information.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7367
    you can beat an old caravan in the garden...

Where Old Caravans go to Die  Baldock Bard
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

How much for a week in August?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    57Deluxe said:

my budget's only about £50k, will that be enough?

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19792
    57Deluxe said:

That's the next evolution from the stealth white van, the garden camo van.
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1087
    sinbaadi said:

My parents have always had one somewhere or other.  For a time in Wales, then the Vendée, then Wales again.  They're great for a free holiday if you know someone that has one, but as an ownership prospect I think they're absolute madness. 

If you love somewhere enough to want to holiday there exclusively then do that it takes to buy an actual property.   The outlay for a static is huge.  If you can't stretch to a property then just find somewhere that will do you a deal for regular stays.

All the mobile alternatives have drawbacks, but at least are not stuck somewhere.

My folks lost a fortune over the years on them.  Could easily have bought a modest cottage in Wales.  The site owners rub their hands together when someone walks in to potentially buy.  They've just got you in this trap.  You can't sell the thing because you'll be in negative equity immediately unless you were mad enough to buy it outright, so you are stuck paying site fees or a massive fee to move the thing. 

You also HAVE to make it your only holiday destination, which is also madness unless you love the place enough to find a way to buy an actual property.
    Do they enjoy it though? 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1372
    Rob1742 said:
    sinbaadi said:

Do they enjoy it though? 
    A good question! 

Yes, they did.  Certainly enough for it to have been worth buying an actual cottage as an appreciating asset rather than multiple occasions of a ridiculously depreciating liability.  But perhaps it's more the commitment that would have merited that, rather than the actual enjoyment of it.

To be fair they still are very good at not thinking about the bigger picture!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7892
    For walking trips in the Dales, B&B in Skipton (major roads thin out further north so getting there takes exponentially longer on arrival day) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:
    For walking trips in the Dales, B&B in Skipton (major roads thin out further north so getting there takes exponentially longer on arrival day) 
    Good advice, but is only applicable to the Yorkshire Dales  ;)
    TimmyO said:
    See, win-win! :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:
    Wensleydale eating surrender monkeys...  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:
    Wensleydale eating surrender monkeys...  ;)
    Ok ok I’m not saying NOTHING good ever came out of Lancashire. I mean, Snake Pass is a wonderful drive in to Yorkshire… :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11621
    edited July 4
    TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:
    Good advice, but is only applicable to the Yorkshire Dales 
    Wensleydale eating surrender monkeys... 
    Ok ok I’m not saying NOTHING good ever came out of Lancashire. I mean, Snake Pass is a wonderful drive in to Yorkshire… :-) 
    Jimmy Anderson, Freddie Flintoff, and Fred Dibnah are/were from Lancashire.

[I'm neutral in this.  I'm from Devon.  Just pointing out that something good came from Lancashire.  As for the alien place that puts jam on the scone first, not so sure about them.]
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6280
    edited July 4
    TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:
    Good advice, but is only applicable to the Yorkshire Dales 
    Wensleydale eating surrender monkeys... 
    this is feytin talk........

I'm from East Lancs, and a chunk of the family are from the Ribble Valley, right on the border with N Yorks. Over the years the border has shifted around a bit, probably due to local horse trading/witchraft etc etc, so there are generational disputes about who was a yorkshireman or lancastrian - all good ale fuelled banter.

the Ribble Valley is an oft overlooked gem though. Sitting between the Lakes and The Dales, it's a gorgeous part of the country and it's full of good places to walk, eat and drink, and stay of course. The people are some of the warmest and funniest you could meet too.

I've long since emigrated to Yorskhire (well, with one toe in Derbyshire too), but I do love the trips over the hills back home.

The areas of the Peak District, Yorkshire Dales, Ribble Valley, North Yorks Moors and the Lakes are simply stunning. Wonderful parts of the country and perfect for a camper van odyssey. 

And yes, the Snake Pass is a spectacular drive. I do it several times a month. Always makes me smile when you see that sign saying City of Sheffield, slap bang in the middle of a moor top. We broke down on the summit of the Snake Pass in the snow once. No phone signal and was three mile to nearest phone box. That was fun.
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 872
    Yorkshire is nice enough, but it's no Lancashire.

There are some good things to come out of Yorkshire though, the A59 for one, the M62.....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I live further North in the Durham Dales so although we're geologically related, sod the lot of you  :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom