Ace Guitar Collection in Vintage and Rare, Bath

What's Hot
ParkerParker Frets: 961
edited July 1 in Guitar
Interesting to see Ace is selling some of his guitars at V&R. Even more interesting is some of the pricing. I think top dollar can go for the Black Beauty as think this was his main guitar for quite a while, but all the others just seem to be pretty standard newer guitars that have a backstage pass or some stickers and a certificate. I think the Martin Backpacker for nearly 2k is the biscuit.

As an aside, I've been a fan of SA since Britpop days, but given his credence as a player (i.e he was better than most other of his contemporaries), I was actually disappointed in his live playing and his tone when I caught them at the Bristol O2 a few years back.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 980
    he’s not exactly a household name outside of Skunk Anansie fans nor an iconic player amongst guitarists so I can’t see many people willing to part with their money at those prices 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3437
    The amps arent priced to badly but the high ticket stuffs a bit silly
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17165
    as a fan i would quite happily own the Les Paul.  the strap is a nice addition.... but why would I want his old trousers and a plain old leather coat included in the sale???

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2483
    V&R....now home to those moonlight flit Lucky Fret Guitar chaps infamous for the 'original' yet refinished Inca Silver and  Burgundy Mist 'custom' colour Strats....nice.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Cornford Roadhouse is quite a good buy.
    I don’t understand someone so average calling themself ‘Ace’. That’s indicative that he’s some kind of virtuoso player. They had a few good songs, but he’s a fairly crap player. I wouldn’t think twice if he was playing in a pub covers band - most doing that are better. Don’t get me started on ‘The Edge’!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4237
    Some crazy prices there, must be feeling hopeful 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    The '67 SG Special is cool.  But what a weird neck heel they had in those days!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14920
    I don’t understand someone so average calling themself ‘Ace’. 
    Some kin of Arnold J. Rimmer, perhaps? ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3201
    I don’t understand someone so average calling themself ‘Ace’. 
    Some kin of Arnold J. Rimmer, perhaps? ;)
    Maybe his nickname wasn’t for his playing?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3437
    Cornford Roadhouse is quite a good buy.
    I don’t understand someone so average calling themself ‘Ace’. That’s indicative that he’s some kind of virtuoso player. They had a few good songs, but he’s a fairly crap player. I wouldn’t think twice if he was playing in a pub covers band - most doing that are better. Don’t get me started on ‘The Edge’!
    I mean, if he was 'fairly crap', I doubt he'd be Head of Industry Partnerships and Business Development at ICMP in London and Associate Professor of Music Industry and was previously Director Of Creative Industry Development at ACM 2015-20, as well as running his own Music academy...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 793
    edited July 4
    The listed Levin Jazz Guitar were made in Sweden and said to be very good quality.

But, the asking price is too high.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6220
    WezV said:
    as a fan i would quite happily own the Les Paul.  the strap is a nice addition.... but why would I want his old trousers and a plain old leather coat included in the sale???

To complete the pose in front of bedroom mirror perhaps. Enquiring minds need to know the waist size, no-one looks very cool with their strides around their ankles. 32” waist or the deal is off.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17165
    JezWynd said:
    WezV said:

To complete the pose in front of bedroom mirror perhaps. Enquiring minds need to know the waist size, no-one looks very cool with their strides around their ankles. 32” waist or the deal is off.
    I was assuming maybe someone in a tribute band would like the whole package.

Then I had to check if such a thing existed.  There are a few, but it doesn't seem like most are aiming for lookalike status
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1620
    Cornford Roadhouse is quite a good buy.
    I mean, if he was 'fairly crap', I doubt he'd be Head of Industry Partnerships and Business Development at ICMP in London and Associate Professor of Music Industry and was previously Director Of Creative Industry Development at ACM 2015-20, as well as running his own Music academy...

Amazing innit - and shocking just how well you can do being "fairly crap". I guess if he was "really crap" he might have only sold....3 million records ??

Personally, I really am really really crap, so hoping for at least The Other Stage next year.

As a professional musician, Ace is a founding member of the group and main songwriter. Their accolades include more than 6m physical sales, 25m streams per year, sold out tours alongside a Glastonbury headline slot 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    Amazing innit - and shocking just how well you can do being "fairly crap". I guess if he was "really crap" he might have only sold....3 million records ??

Personally, I really am really really crap, so hoping for at least The Other Stage next year.
    I'm really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really crap, so don't expect to see me on any stages any time soon.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1468
    As always with these things you wonder what he's KEEPING?

And more generally if I was a distinguished rocker of a certain age, I think I'd have to keep some of this stuff as memorabilia? I've always liked the Suzi Quatro thing where she's got her Ego Room where all the stage clothes gold discs etc... from her career is kept and she occasionally visits.

As for the instruments... well I guess 24 grand is 24 grand and can pay for one or two finer things in life.?

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2193
    That les paul is pure nostalgia for me, remember seeing it on the "weak" video.
    As a side note , skin does not get enough respect. Incredible voice. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 315
    And her Glastonbury headline performance was the first made by a black woman.

(This she pointed out when industry puppet Beyonce headlined there a few years later and claimed that title!)
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 249
    I remember the article he did about fx pedals for the guitarist magazine cd. It was super cool listening to all the messed up tones he got. I rate him as a player, there’s some tasty stuff on the old albums, but I agree to some earlier posts in that perhaps not as good live vs in the studio?