Copper Firebird/Strat build.... "Coppercaster"? "Stratobird"?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
edited July 1 in Making & Modding
The previously mooted build is go, so I’m putting the various stages of the build in on place. 

Key interesting stuff: 
Ash strat body, swimming pool route
copper leaf finish
3x Firebird pickups 
5-way blade superswitch
Neck is being pinched from my Jazzblaster, at least for now. 

I’m going for essentially Tele wiring hit with Strat 2&4 parallel positions. Master vol. & tone, no splits or taps unless I really see a good reason too. 

The swimming pool route also means I can mess about with different pickups if the 3x FB layout doesn’t click for me. 

I’ve never gilded anything before, let alone finished over the top of that….

Body arrived yesterday. Wish me luck!!!  

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
IMG_4318.jpeg 434.7K
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
    Concept via kisekae 

… and a bit of inspiration from Robbie Robertson’s bronze-dipped Strat

IMG_4219.png 215.5K
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    We are go…

Pickups also arrived today. I really hope I like them because it cost a small fortune to get 3 of the buggers!! 

IMG_4350.jpeg 274.4K
    And this evening was spent hunched over a folding Bosch workbench in our hallway in an attempt to not cover my whole flat in copper & glue...

First up was a little bit of sand and grain fill just to minimise sinkage. I'll actually be quite happy with a little bit of grain texture but this bit of ash is quite meaty so I'm hoping it will be just a little rather than intentional heavily-sunken finish.

I stared with the back because I had no clue how easy this would be or how well I would do at it. Turns out it's actually not that hard as long as you don't want a pristine flat finish (which I don't, thank god!). You just apply the size (gilding glue), wait about 15 mins till it squeaks when you run your knuckle across it, then carefully apply the leaf. I used tweezers and a brush for the most part, tearing each piece to minimise straight lines along the edges as that seems to be one thing that a lot of first-timers mention when talking about things they'd have done differently. This also makes handling the copper much easier as you're not worrying about keeping it pristine. 

Of course I had also gilded myself in the process... 

And the current status as of 11pm tonight. is below. Front & back are both done. Both will need a little bit of tidy-up work where I either hadn't applied the size consistently enough, or had let it dry too much before I got the copper on. So tomorrow once it's all fully dry I'll give it a little burnishing to smooth everything out and remove any more loose bits, then do any touchups needed. Again as I'm not going for a pristine finish I don't actually mind the odd bit of relicing, so I'll see how much I want to try and get it perfect, but for right now I'm very happy with it. 

FWIW I'm using Barnabas Metal Leaf Gilding Adhesive which didn't cost much, and this has taken 25x 14x14cm sheets of copper which between them total about £25 in materials, plus potentially a couple of cheap brushes that I guess I might not want to use for paint after this! 

Top coat will be a few layers of shellac and a lot of elbow grease, which the internet tells me should work just fine.... 

And in terms of vibe, I note Atkin have recently done a few guitars with gilded finishes, which is both great and annoying because I could've just bloody bought one. But anyway, this is a GREAT vibe and has me convinced I'm on the right track.

Obviously I don't have the black undercoat, but that's no issue. If in doubt a few dents and some dirt should do it :D 

• WezVWezV Frets: 17165
    The big issue when I was doing copper leaf was the finger prints, but I think it evened out reasonably well once I had some lacquer on it.

A light finish is best if you are happy with it wearing through.   I did some in rustins plastic coating, but it eventually cracked leaving razor sharp edges
    Yeah, I think I'm print-free so far, though honestly I'm knackered and have an early start so haven't scrutinised yet. Will see how I feel about it after work tomorrow :) 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7354
    Needs one more nod to Firebird for me. Maybe a logo on the plate? 
    edited July 3
    Needs one more nod to Firebird for me. Maybe a logo on the plate? 
    I have been thinking about it but not sure there's a way to add anything to guard without it looking crowded. 

Long term if I like it as much as I'm hoping then a two-tone Tele-over-Strat outline headstock could be super cool. But I'm guessing that might cost quite a chunk to commission as a one-off..!

Well I was going to say a Firebird headstock but agree, that’d be spenny! 
    In the short term… gibson knobs maybe? 
    Poss just a Trini/NR Firebird headstock shape could also work. Still feels like a major expense I probably don't need though. 

Let's wait and see if I even like the pickups. If not I'm gonna try a PFA in the bridge as the next stop
    edited July 3
    Oh 100% - I'm going master vol & master tone with silver-top Gibson knobs  

I've never particularly liked Strat knobs on anything so they were never an option here. If the Gison ones don't feel right I'll go chunky Tele ones
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oh 100% - I'm going master vol & master tone with silver-top Gibson knobs  

I've never particularly liked Strat knobs on anything so they were never an option here. If the Gison ones don't feel right I'll go chunky Tele ones
    Splendid choice 
    Could you get an ABR and stop tail on? 
    Haha certainly if I filled the trem hole. Looks a bit wrong though. Maybe a wraparound could be better 

What’s good about this build at least is I don’t give 2 shits about it being “vintage correct” or whatever, so I’m relatively free to hack it about a bit if I want to. 

Haha certainly if I filled the trem hole. Looks a bit wrong though. Maybe a wraparound could be better 

What’s good about this build at least is I don’t give 2 shits about it being “vintage correct” or whatever, so I’m relatively free to hack it about a bit if I want to. 

Oh yeah, that does look shite. Suppose given it’s a 3 pickup, it should really be a maestro! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17165
    Yeah, I think I'm print-free so far, though honestly I'm knackered and have an early start so haven't scrutinised yet. Will see how I feel about it after work tomorrow :) 
    You will probably find some appear as the copper starts to oxidise
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 355
    @stickyfiddle Really enjoying this thread already. Love how you're taking a ubiquitous model and putting your own twist on it. As a fan of Firebird pickups, I very much look forward to hearing your thoughts on how they work in a Strat.  :)
    WezV said:
    You will probably find some appear as the copper starts to oxidise
    Now you tell me!! :D 

Then I may be buggered - we'll see. I have plenty of spare copper for another layer if needed. Will see what it looks like once I'm potentially ready to finish it