Potential Strat project - firebird pickups? Trems? Body wood?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27894
edited June 20 in Guitar
This will move to making & modding if I actually kick it off, but I'll stay here to grab eyeballs for now. 

What's the view on Firebird pickups? Particularly on Fender-types. And more specifically, will they give me a quasi-Strat-2/4 sound (though obviously fatter) if I wired 3 of them like a Strat? 

To give a bit more detail, I've had the idea for some form of "super" Strat build for bloody ages, and combined with a couple of other ideas I have an idea for a good build that could be a huge amount of fun. That's making me think about wiring options involving FB pickups, either 2 or 3 pickups, and possibly with a trad PAF in the bridge. Or maybe PAF-single-Firebird almost like a Stratty equivalent of Brent Mason's Tele? 

I also have to look at trems, because I've been deeply enjoying Bigbsys for several years now but don't get on with trad Strat terms very much. I'm aware Stetsbar do a retro-fit of their gubbins to attach to a Strat which looks a bit mad but might be quite cool. And certainly much more reversible than a Bigsby... 

Collected thoughts on the above please!? 

EDIT: also looking for thoughts on body wood pls! Aldar, Ash, roasted?
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14879
    tFB Trader
    3 Firebird p/ups, wired on a conventional 5 way Strat switch will still give you the quack/out of phase voice on position 2+4 

I've had a similar idea but with 3 Gold Foil pick-ups - Not sure why as I've never tried it on a Strat - But like the Gold Foil sound on other 'retro based' guitars - I play with less gain and more of that JJ Cale cleaner voice 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27894
    3 Firebird p/ups, wired on a conventional 5 way Strat switch will still give you the quack/out of phase voice on position 2+4 

I've had a similar idea but with 3 Gold Foil pick-ups - Not sure why as I've never tried it on a Strat - But like the Gold Foil sound on other 'retro based' guitars - I play with less gain and more of that JJ Cale cleaner voice 
    Ta - that's good to know! I've played a couple of 2-pickup FBs and loved the sound but never tried a 3-pickup one. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1091
    I've been tempted to try firebird pickups in a strat too
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2477
    @nacnudnai had Firebird pickups in one of his Strats for a bit and it was a bloody brilliant pairing.
    Tim
    As for trems.. it's a janky looking thing but this sounds gooooood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2K8mxOXzRU 

Ok here's the current thinking... 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1616

I've just done a single firebird pickup strat.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    markblack said:

and it looks great! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12562
    You know my thoughts @stickyfiddle - and now I'm gassing insanely.
    tFB Trader
    markblack said:

and it looks great! 

Agree
    Axesrus do a double mini HB pickguard for Strats...
    Ta - that could be a good starting point! 
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 739
    Craig is a really good guy to deal with, I've had a couple of pickguards from him now and they've all been excellent :) 
  • nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 265
    timmypix said:
    @nacnudnai had Firebird pickups in one of his Strats for a bit and it was a bloody brilliant pairing.
    Yep, I did this with some Seymour Duncan Firebirds (SM3 maybe). I only had bridge and neck and had it wired up to a super 5 way. Positions 1-3-5 were the usual bridge, both on, neck. In 2 and 4, the bridge or neck pickup was wired up in parallel (neck parallel was particularly nice). 

Broadly speaking, I really liked it and still have the guard assembled for whenever I fancy popping it back in - I'd say worth a go at least. Firebirds are well suited to strats and teles
    Craig is a really good guy to deal with, I've had a couple of pickguards from him now and they've all been excellent :) 
    And looking at his options there's also a Robbie Robertson style "twin-single HS" sort of layout, which is the other option I'd really like to try at some point...
  • nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 265
    Whilst I'm thinking about it...if you wanted to explore different bridge pickups too, I'd at least consider a minihumbucker bridge with Firebird neck and middle. 

Minihumbuckers are a lot closer to the humbucker sound than a Firebird pickup, at least to my ears. I haven't actually tried a minihumbucker in a strat bridge, but I've tried them enough times to know they'd be a slightly ballsier option for the bridge without overpowering the Firebirds.
    edited June 19 tFB Trader
    nacnudnai said:
    Whilst I'm thinking about it...if you wanted to explore different bridge pickups too, I'd at least consider a minihumbucker bridge with Firebird neck and middle. 

Minihumbuckers are a lot closer to the humbucker sound than a Firebird pickup, at least to my ears. I haven't actually tried a minihumbucker in a strat bridge, but I've tried them enough times to know they'd be a slightly ballsier option for the bridge without overpowering the Firebirds.
    I thought about this when Stickyfiddle started the OP, but I'd have gone with the mini-humbucker in the neck position for warmth - I'd be happy with the bite/balls/attack from the Firebird p/ups in the middle + bridge , but a more lush, yet still crisp mini-humbucker in the neck would be my option
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 459
    I'm pretty late to this, but I've had a few beers now so I'm going with broadcaster bridge pickup, firebird in the middle, and a widerange humbucker in the neck. 

I am not smart enough to figure out how that needs wiring, but even if you were stuck with a 3 way switch you'd still have 3 amazing sounds in one comfy guitar. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    mo6020 said:
    I'm pretty late to this, but I've had a few beers now so I'm going with broadcaster bridge pickup, firebird in the middle, and a widerange humbucker in the neck. 

I am not smart enough to figure out how that needs wiring, but even if you were stuck with a 3 way switch you'd still have 3 amazing sounds in one comfy guitar. 
    Haha hardly late - I only opened this thread a few hours ago and no decisions made yet. That also sounds like a lot of fun to be fair, but I think a Tele template would suit it better. I do have a hankering for a thinline at some point. I have a spare neck that'll get used when I find the right body
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7912
    Firebird pickups done vintage style are a lot like a strat but have less edge to the note attack.

Personally if using them I'd get one in the neck and a slightly hotter mini hum in the bridge.
    If you want to keep the same look you could pop a plain cover on the mini hum.