Potential Strat project - firebird pickups? Trems? Body wood?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27894
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    @offset nice - what is it? 

Just imagine it with Firebird pups in it...
    Nah, I can’t deal with black guitars that don’t have binding. 

I’m copper all the way for this thing
    Neck or body?  Or both???
    Just body. I already have a good plain neck that I’ll use :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27894
    It's on like Donkey Kong. 
    • Neck - I'm going to repossess the neck from my Jazzblaster which has been fun but isn't getting used (the rest of that will be up for grabs on here soon!) 
    • A lovely vintagey-but-with-swimming-pool body is on its way from Guitarmill 
    • Pickups order has just gone in with Lollar 
    I think that means the only other stuff I don't have in the parts box is trem, switching and pickguard. So... recommendations please, especially for custom pickguard folks (outside UK is fine as it'll have to be shipped to AbuDhabi anyway). 

For trems, the body is already drilled for a trad 6-point style unit, so I'm limited to things that work with that. I'm thinking Callahan most likely but would consider something like the PRS Silver Sky one just because I know PRS is fastidious about that sort of engineering. 

On switching, I'm going master vol, master tone and a blade switch. I think I want it wired like a Strat expect with bridge+neck on the middle position. But the other option is a 3-way and put a push/push pot on the tone to add the middle to any other position. Answers on a postcard... 

And for the body finish, there is a maker space here that's about to open a new place. I'm hoping that happens soon as I think they'll have somewhere I can do the copper leaf and then spray properly, which would be great. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 739
    Axesrus do a double mini HB pickguard for Strats...
    Ta - that could be a good starting point! 
    Craig is a really good guy to deal with, I've had a couple of pickguards from him now and they've all been excellent :) 
    And looking at his options there's also a Robbie Robertson style "twin-single HS" sort of layout, which is the other option I'd really like to try at some point...
    I was fascinated by the tonal possibilities of the SSH 'Reverse Fat Strat' pickguard; I'm putting a build together atm of that, with a SD JB Jr. in the bridge, Iron Gear Texas Loco in the middle and Tesla Shark in the neck. Once I can source an HSH routed Strat to put in in, that should be really fun.