You can choose your friends, but not your family.

What's Hot
KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19791
An old phrase, but still true apparently...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy79q7ej49yo
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12687
    It’s such a shame that the family have tarnished his legacy with their horrific greed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1429
    Hasn't tarnished how I remember him. What good he did was all him. What they did after he died has nothing to do with that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9835
    It’s always the ones you least suspect.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19791
    It’s always the ones you most suspect.
    FTFY  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9835
    In the words of Homer Simpson: "I was being SARCASTIC!"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7226
    tFB Trader
    I blame the parents
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14920
    Like Father Ted Crilly, the money was only resting in their account. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7131
    edited July 4
    How do we know the old Captain wasn’t a baddun earlier in life? Seemed to have made a bit of cash in the past himself. He wasn’t officially a captain was he?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12582
    mrkb said:
    How do we know the old Captain wasn’t a baddun earlier in life? Seemed to have made a bit of cash in the past himself. He wasn’t officially a captain was he?
    He was made a temporary captain during WW2 so I guess he was then entitled to keep the title? He served as a captain from 1944 until the end of the war. From his Wiki page he seems a decent enough bloke and a good businessman, but obviously it’s impossible to suss out his moral attitudes. His NHS fundraising seems beyond reproach, it’s the daughter and son in law who seem to have done all the flakey stuff afterwards. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1429
    edited July 5
    mrkb said:
    Served in the war to defend us all from Nazis. 
    Raised £32m for charity DURING Covid by walking on his 100th bday. 

Why speculate whether he was bad when there's not even an inkling that he was, but there is hard evidence in front of us that he was a good man? I get looking at all angles but this seems unwarranted and non sensical to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1087
    When a relationship broke down with one of my family I analysed the situation and felt lucky the break down actually happened.

Previously spending time, money and effort on someone that I didn’t share common values with, the issue arising then made my life better not having to then be involved with them anymore. 

It made me look at the whole “ family” relationship situation and I concluded that I should spend time with friends with shared values rather than some family members who you clearly wouldn’t communicate with if infact they weren’t family.

Too many people spend too much time in forced situations just because it sits under the family title. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14920
    IIRC, Captain Tom's sponsored walk was originally a local effort to raise funds for the local NHS. Press coverage caused it to go viral on social media, attracting donations from a far wider catchment area.

AFAIK, no formal arrangement had been agreed about how and/when the funds would be handed over or to whom.

This was the point at which somebody decided to capitalise on the public good will and produce merchandise, ensuring that tomorrow would be a profitable day.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.