New Guitar or new Amp?

What's Hot
ROOGROOG Frets: 562

A friend of mine is feeling really very down right now, he tells me that he has saved a very reasonable GAS fund, but can only splash out on one item.

If you were similarly afflicted (god forbid) what would lift your sprits the most, a new guitar or a new amp?

btw: he says he doesn't need any more pedals right now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    always a guitar for me. I only really buy an amp when i need to, I buy guitars when i dont need to.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    edited November 2014
    This is going to sound really miserable - but neither. It's highly unlikely that the lack of a new guitar or amp is causing his unhappiness, so neither is going to do anything but give him a temporary lift.

If the guy is actually depressed help him with that by all means - but spending his way to happiness is unlikely to work....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    JAYJO said:
    always a guitar for me. I only really buy an amp when i need to, I buy guitars when i dont need to.

Cheers Jayjo, on the other hand spending money at all usually makes my friend feel unwell for a while, but I believe that 'pain' passes!

• What guitar(s) and amp(s) does he currently have?

This is going to sound really miserable - but neither. It's highly unlikely that the lack of a new guitar or amp is causing his unhappiness, so neither is going to do anything but give him a temporary lift.

If the guy is actually depressed help him with that by a means - but spending his way to happiness is unlikely to work....
    Bugger, that probably  means he will have to quit his job and shoot all his enemies, surely a guitar or amp would be less damaging, even if it only gives him time to re assess his position?

What guitar(s) and amp(s) does he currently have?

I now that he's been tinkering with the idea of a PRS custom or a Kemper with all the flashy lights

• ^ If he hates his job, the last thing he should be doing is spending money. There's a fair chance he'll end up telling them to shove it and will have a guitar he didn't really need...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ^ If he hates his job, the last thing he should be doing is spending money. There's a fair chance he'll end up telling them to shove it and will have a guitar he didn't really need...

He says that might not matter if he jumps in front of a train in the next week of so. 

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    edited November 2014
    ROOG;402613" said:
    He says that might not matter if he jumps in front of a train in the next week of so. 
    If he's seriously in such a bad way you should not encourage him to use retail therapy - he should probably be off work and will probably need money.

A trip to the doctors would be better if you mean what you've just said.
    ROOG;402613" said:
    If he's seriously in such a bad way you should not encourage him to use retail therapy - he should probably be off work and will probably need money.

A trip to the doctors would be better if you mean what you mean what you've just said.

You know, he tells me that this convo has helped a little, I'll tell him to go and see his doctor, he might even have a PRS to sell him, failing that therapy or Prozac.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Don't forget to ask him if you can have his new guitar if he doesn't make it.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12028
    I'd use the money are go on holiday, blow some steam.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited November 2014

Really, all you need is an EJ wired Mexican strat with standard pickups and a dry valve amp with a little gain and no reverb.  You can do anything from EVH to 80's hairmetal to Andy Timmons to Hendrix to SRV just about.  OH you'll need some decent speakers too.  I keep meaning to sell my MIM standard strat, but it's so versatile and so good and sooo comfy, I can't bring myself to do it.  I know I shouldn't say this, but I actually think I prefer the neck on that to my Charvel Pro Mods.

Obviously you can take the valve sound further by getting equipped with some SSL1s or Texas Specials or 57/62's or develop the brown sound with a weak humbucker or a better alnico 5 and a Floyd for 80's hairmetal, but a MIM standard just about covers all the bases.  Has he got one?

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    Sambostar said:

Really, all you need is an EJ wired Mexican strat with standard pickups and a dry valve amp with a little gain and no reverb.  You can do anything from EVH to 80's hairmetal to Andy Timmons to Hendrix to SRV just about.  OH you'll need some decent speakers too.  I keep meaning to sell my MIM standard strat, but it's so versatile and so good and sooo comfy, I can't bring myself to do it.  I know I shouldn't say this, but I actually think I prefer the neck on that to my Charvel Pro Mods.

Obviously you can take the valve sound further by getting equipped with some SSL1s or Texas Specials or 57/62's or develop the brown sound with a weak humbucker or a better alnico 5 and a Floyd for 80's hairmetal, but a MIM standard just about covers all the bases.  Has he got one?

Hang on I'll ask.

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    This thread is wierd...
    Since when is a Kemper or PRS reasonable? haha

I hope your friend feels better soon, but I agree it might take more than just a new guitar or so.  Saying that, I loooove playing when I'm down it really helps! Why not have a new axe/amp to play with eh!
    joeyowen said:
    This thread is wierd...

You're telling me, its not often people are dissuaded from buying a new guitar in this place, but the advice offered is very sensible.

And I suspect his wife at least will be very grateful.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Neither .. booze and prostitutes ....

In all seriousness would buying something cheer him up?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Shouldn't part with money when you head is not the full ticket.  I never part with any, unless I have to.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Retail therapy is not the answer. Neither is coke & hookers. But to answer the question I always enjoy guitar GAS much more than amp GAS.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Coke and hookers, life of sin.. Sounds good lol.
    Guitar all the way, every day.