Upgraded Precision

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2079
edited July 5 in Bass
I finished upgrading my alder/satin maple precision a few weeks ago, having never modded a guitar in 16 years. It is now as good as the best precisions I've played, but I didn't cut any corners; I've had it 5 years and play it regularly, so it was worth the investment.

https://i.imgur.com/V90WDvY.jpg
It now has...

Hipshot USA Ultralite Tuners
Gotoh Japan 201B Bridge
Bourns USA Pots
Switchcraft USA Jack
Lindy Fralin USA Pickup (Standard Wind)
Graphtech Nut
Schaller Strap Locks
D'Addario 40-100 Half Rounds

I got lucky with the pickup, because one of the Basschat Mods had it in his '78 while the original was waiting to go back in. Seems punchier than I expected, but the pickup placement on my bass is slightly closer to the bridge than a traditional.

After doing all the shielding, soldering, drilling etc, the most satisfying part was setting up the bass again, which I've done to Fender specs.

I bought from Hobbycraft (scalpels/cutting board), Toolstation (weatherstripping) and had an Antex soldering iron based on Jonathan/Feline's recommendation and I used Weller lead solder. The copper shielding and PTFE tape mentioned here worked a treat as well.

Thanks to everyone that provided advice and if anyone is a complete novice, feel free to PM me about the bits and pieces I bought. Aside from some Oil Citys in the future, I think I'm done buying parts for my collection for now.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14920
    Is it short scale? The bridge looks a long way in from the body edge. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28134
    Nice. You can't beat a good P done right :)

@Funkfingers good spot - must be at least 32 if not 30"
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2079
    Is it short scale? The bridge looks a long way in from the body edge. 
    Nope - 34" with 22 frets (I find 30" too cramped).

The bridge in the picture is the original, with the exact same measurements as the 201B and because it intonates perfectly, I did a like-for-like rather than go for a Hipshot Kickass etc. I've kept all the original parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdL0XLNo47Y&t=22s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom