Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    I owe it to everyone I've ever met to try some.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This will no doubt turn into a Scotch thread. I prefer bourbon. So there :p
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    The regular 12 year old is lovely to my mind too and you save just over £60 on this winner.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Bourbon is fucking foul.

I drink Irish whiskey, I'll not be trying any Japanese.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16046
    hey Lixartae.......frets, one one one one
    tae be or not tae be
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4065
    edited November 2014
    This will no doubt turn into a Scotch thread. I prefer bourbon. So there :p
    It has been a while.  But absinthe is calling.  The sirens' song.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    hootsmon said:
    hey Lixartae.......frets, one one one one
    :D
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Lixarto said:
    Bourbon is fucking foul.

I drink Irish whiskey, I'll not be trying any Japanese.

ooh grumpy lumpy.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    The Japanese stuff is different to the Scotish stuff, I thought Yamazaki wasn't bad but not outstanding. Having said that Tesco have restocked at least some of their shops with the stuff including another type or brand of Japanese Whiskey that has me interested. The massive Tesco in Camberley has Yamazaki and whatever the Hell the other stuff was called. Still, the Singleton was on offer so I bought 3 bottles of that instead...
  • vizviz Frets: 10762
    hootsmon said:
    Lixartae

Lol
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I've just noticed it. Double LOL!

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3074
    The only way to taste whiskey:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    Japanese malt isn't that far from Scottish - certainly not the stuff from north Japan - similar climate and water. The chap who brough proper distilling learnt his craft from several years spent working at Glenlivet. He purposefully came over to learn how to do it properly. It's generally good stuff, Yamazaki, Hibiki etc.

I am an unapologetic whisky bore. A few spelling rules here, please:

Scottish is whisky
    Irish and American is whiskey
    Bourbon is different to JD which is Tenessee whiskey (and shite IMO, well the run of the mill JD is, paint stripper)
    Japanese is whisky

Most scottish whisky is finished in pre used bourbon casks actually, even those that are then moved to another cask (like a port one) a lot of the time. The scottish industry imports a lot of pre used american oak bourbon casks for finishing.

LIxarto - Irish whiskey, very nice, my favourite being Yellow Spot at the moment, lovely stuff if you can get hold of it.

I have a few bottles on the go at the moment:

Lagavulin and Talisker Storm for general quaffing
    for more of a treat I have a 21 year old ABerfeldy and  1990 Balblair (cask strength), and also a very special cask strength 24 year old limited cask Glenlivet.

the true water of life indeed.

I  was in heathrow recently and they have the most expensive malt ever released by DIageo - a 40 year old Brora at 7 grand a bottle! ther's only 160 available worldwide. The chap in the store said that the week before, a Japanese bloke came in and bought every ottle they had in the airport - all 5!! o doubt they will become a nice investment. But if that was me, the demon on the shoulder would be at me, saying, go on,open it, what does 7 grand whisky taste like???? PRobably a little bit better than a 100 quid one no doubt
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought the US gov changed to rules on what could be called bourbon to something like 'aged in sherry barrels for at least 7 years' so that JD could be classed and sold as a bourbon.

I may of dreamt it though

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• TinLipTinLip Frets: 368

I thought the US gov changed to rules on what could be called bourbon to something like 'aged in sherry barrels for at least 7 years' so that JD could be classed and sold as a bourbon.

I may of dreamt it though

Nope, I was there a couple of weeks ago and they insisted it was still Tennessee Whisky. My guide was also very quick to point out that it is not to be confused with Kentucky bourbon.

• Snap said:
    Japanese malt isn't that far from Scottish - certainly not the stuff from north Japan - similar climate and water. The chap who brough proper distilling learnt his craft from several years spent working at Glenlivet. He purposefully came over to learn how to do it properly. It's generally good stuff, Yamazaki, Hibiki etc.

I am an unapologetic whisky bore. A few spelling rules here, please:

Scottish is whisky
    Irish and American is whiskey
    Bourbon is different to JD which is Tenessee whiskey (and shite IMO, well the run of the mill JD is, paint stripper)
    Japanese is whisky

Most scottish whisky is finished in pre used bourbon casks actually, even those that are then moved to another cask (like a port one) a lot of the time. The scottish industry imports a lot of pre used american oak bourbon casks for finishing.

LIxarto - Irish whiskey, very nice, my favourite being Yellow Spot at the moment, lovely stuff if you can get hold of it.

I have a few bottles on the go at the moment:

Lagavulin and Talisker Storm for general quaffing
    for more of a treat I have a 21 year old ABerfeldy and  1990 Balblair (cask strength), and also a very special cask strength 24 year old limited cask Glenlivet.

the true water of life indeed.

I  was in heathrow recently and they have the most expensive malt ever released by DIageo - a 40 year old Brora at 7 grand a bottle! ther's only 160 available worldwide. The chap in the store said that the week before, a Japanese bloke came in and bought every ottle they had in the airport - all 5!! o doubt they will become a nice investment. But if that was me, the demon on the shoulder would be at me, saying, go on,open it, what does 7 grand whisky taste like???? PRobably a little bit better than a 100 quid one no doubt
     7 grand a bottle.... a mere drop in the ocean:
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I drink Jack Daniels because I saw famous people drinking it... true story.
    I was younger at the time and it has stuck with me

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    At least some Japanese whisky is actually made in Scottish distilleries...
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

I like JD, but I tried one of the better versions a while ago, which was very, VERY nice indeed. I think it was single barrel.

My lad bought me a bottle of Balblair 1997 for my birthday, must have been about £60 or so, and that is also very, very good, not heavily peated. Recommended, Chilli rating 9/10.

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I've had chilli vodka, but not chilli whisky. (Have also had home-made bacon vodka, which was, surprisingly, not actively poisonous.)