The IR's pretty much everything isn't it.....

What's Hot
...bit of an exaggeration obviously but I've been doing a bit of experimenting seeing how close I can get my HX Stomp to sound to my IR-D and after a lot of (fun in a nerdy way) faffing about as soon as I put them through the same IR I could get very close results with a number of different HX models. 

This is probably not news to anyone.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 7131
    Yep it’s the final EQ filter in your sound. Just like changing cabs makes a huge difference in the real world , changing IRs is the same in the virtual world.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27292
    It's hugely important, yes.

However, try running the best IR you've got through an FRFR cab, and then try running that same patch without an IR direct into a solid state power amp and then a real guitar cab. The difference between IRs and a real cab at gig volume is night and day.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2362
    edited July 6
    Yep. I made a similar post a while back stating the cabinet is the most important part of the chain or at least the one that influences the overall sound the most. Some people ridiculed/disagreed, but I stand by it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 650
    I think I've come to the conclusion that IRs work wonderfully with headphones / in ears, but my ears certainly are very sensitive to where I am in position to speakers especially when the cab is FRFR. I presume it's the diectional nature of the treble that's making the difference which a traditional speaker has less of.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 1004
    @normula1 are you saying the sound of an FRFR doesn't change as you move about the cabinet the way a traditional cab would? Never thought of it like that. It always freaked out the way a guitar sound changes (moreso with open-back obvs), but when I perform it's whether I can hear myself over the others as well as playing the right notes.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4428

However, try running the best IR you've got through an FRFR cab, and then try running that same patch without an IR direct into a solid state power amp and then a real guitar cab. The difference between IRs and a real cab at gig volume is night and day.
    Definitely - but isn’t that the difference between a mic’d sound and an in-the-room sound? Or are you saying that it’s night and day between a mic’d real cab and an IR? 
    Nerine said:
    Yep. I made a similar post a while back stating the cabinet is the most important part of the chain or at least the one that influences the overall sound the most. Some people ridiculed/disagreed, but I stand by it. 

I agree with you. I think if I ever return to live playing on electric then I can see myself amassing a collection of cabs rather than amps…
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27292
    Lewy said:

Definitely - but isn’t that the difference between a mic’d sound and an in-the-room sound? Or are you saying that it’s night and day between a mic’d real cab and an IR? 
    No - even when both are coming out of the front-of-house, there's a big difference in my experience. The real cab with real mic just sounds more...lively? That obviously comes with the caveat that it's only valid for the sounds I use, which are mid-to-high gain.

Controlled feedback is a lot more pleasing in my experience, too.
    <space for hire>
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 650
    @normula1 are you saying the sound of an FRFR doesn't change as you move about the cabinet the way a traditional cab would? Never thought of it like that. It always freaked out the way a guitar sound changes (moreso with open-back obvs), but when I perform it's whether I can hear myself over the others as well as playing the right notes.
    The other way round. The FRFR sound changes massively more so than a traditional speaker, to my ears at least. I do notice it with a traditional cab but the change feels less radical.
    I more and more using IEMs as I find them so much more consistent albeit less "rewarding".
  • willowillo Frets: 417
    normula1 said:
    The other way round. The FRFR sound changes massively more so than a traditional speaker, to my ears at least. I do notice it with a traditional cab but the change feels less radical.
    I more and more using IEMs as I find them so much more consistent albeit less "rewarding".
    This is something that, as I understand it, the Barefaced Audio Reality FRFR seeks to solve. I'd like to try one one day:

https://barefacedaudio.com/collections/frfr-guitar-bass-cabs/products/reality112fr
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7131
    normula1 said:
    That’s wrong, the guitar speaker is highly directional- the FRFR (which is basically a PA speaker) isn’t as directional.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    The other thing I'm learning is there's not much point auditioning IRs outside of a mix, because on their own your ears just get used to them after a few minutes - you use one that sounds good, play another one for a while which at first feels jarring, then you get used to it, go back to the previous one and it sounds shit....
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    Lewy said:
    The other thing I'm learning is there's not much point auditioning IRs outside of a mix, because on their own your ears just get used to them after a few minutes - you use one that sounds good, play another one for a while which at first feels jarring, then you get used to it, go back to the previous one and it sounds shit....
    When I record I often just use what I feel like on the day and then swap the IR afterwards until it works.
    I got fed up with swapping the amp or even just the amp settings. I like this way better.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd