Pickup Identity Help

What's Hot
skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 225
I foolishly bought a Bare Knuckle pickup off ebay... silly me. The photo in the sale and description was mentioned as 8.4K - so it thought i was getting  a Cold Sweat.

I am only now getting around to checking myself and low and behold my multimeter says 7.15k. That puts it in Stormy Monday territory. Not what I was after! Might be a Mule which would not be bad but they're 7.3K.

It's a cool looking pickup - matt black (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115982475462). But any other way of identifying it for sure?
John
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15284
    The eBay listing photographs illustrate a BKP box. There might be something helpful indicated on that. There, again, that pickup could have been shipped in the wrong box.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 225
    edited July 6
    Unfortunately it's the box for the pickup the person bought afterwards (Looks like he bought a VHII bridge). And my multimeter is spot on - just measured my Rebel Yell bridge which have me 14..61K (listing on the BK website is 14.4K).
    Lurking on ebay and I cna see
    PG Blues: 7.22k
    Stormy Monday 7.4
    Might even be a Mule!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15284
    edited July 6
    Taking the difference between your meter reading for a Rebel Yell humbucker and the published figure suggests a pretty tight tolerance.

That tolerance range, applied to the reading from the mystery humbucker, strongly suggests the 7.1k of a Stormy Monday Neck position pickup.

Looks as if you already answered your own question.

Those matt black pickup covers and nickel polepiece screws look great in black pickguard surroundings. Thus, your pickup would go nicely in the neck position of a Telecaster.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    It's always annoyed me that Bareknuckle don't label their pickups at all. It can't cost much - even a simple small sticker like the old Seymour Duncan ones would be fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Those matt black pickup covers and nickel polepiece screws look great in black pickguard surrounds. Thus, your pickup would go nicely in the neck position of a Telecaster.
    So where am I going to put the 7 P90s that are waiting for the role?!! ;-)

I am going to have to rethink my strategy though. 
    ICBM said:
    It's always annoyed me that Bareknuckle don't label their pickups at all. It can't cost much - even a simple small sticker like the old Seymour Duncan ones would be fine.
    It's unbelievably irritating considering the code of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25114
    edited July 6
    It's odd that he's identified it as a neck pickup, but doesn't know which model it is.  Although the DCR does suggest it could be a Stormy Monday, PG Blues, Mule or Riff Raff neck - I doubt it's as consistent as one decimal place.
    Sorry should have added - it has a newish "neck" sticker on the cable. 
    skinfreak said:
    Sorry should have added - it has a newish "neck" sticker on the cable. 
    Of course, I'd forgotten they had the stickers on the cables.  :3
    Interestingly I emailed BKP direct and they said they'd help me identify the pickup. I'll keep you all posted...
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    I hate this about BKPs, I always write the model number & position underneath just in-case they ever get mixed up with my inevitable swaps. 

That said, I rarely use BKPs these days!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11979
    tFB Trader
    Usually they tend to meter up lower than the specs (and depending on temperature too).
    I would say it is most likely a Mule neck 
    Hope BKP can help 

I have often discussed my annoyance at the lack of labelling, (and I have been a stockist of them for 20 years)
    I do resort to putting my own little labels of some if we are fitting them in our own guitars

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Usually they tend to meter up lower than the specs (and depending on temperature too).
    I would say it is most likely a Mule neck 
    Hope BKP can help 

I have often discussed my annoyance at the lack of labelling, (and I have been a stockist of them for 20 years)
    I do resort to putting my own little labels of some if we are fitting them in our own guitars
    See?! Thinking about the customer! Well done.

If it is a Mule then I think I'd be very happy indeed. In fact this little escapade has me changing my mind a little bit. This pickup might make it into my Satin Black Singlecut. Was aiming for the Tremonti but this does give me an idea.
    skinfreak said:
    If it is a Mule then I think I'd be very happy indeed. In fact this little escapade has me changing my mind a little bit. This pickup might make it into my Satin Black Singlecut. Was aiming for the Tremonti but this does give me an idea.
    Even if it's not a Mule, you could put an A4 magnet in and it's near as dammit.  Or you might just be happy with way it sounds now.
    Hmmm....I just went back to an old thread when i bought the Rebel Yell off here. The seller said it was 14.9k and yet I'm reading 14.58k this morning.  Obviously there's some deviation coming from somewhere but could my meter be consistently lower? I've long forgotten my electronics GCSE and mow I'm typing I might well be making a mountain out of a molehile. 0.3k difference on a different day with different weather? It's probably nothing.

Also found a person on Reverb hocking a Mule at 7.1k also. Maybe it is a Mule...
    edited July 7
    As @FelineGuitars said:

I wouldn't get too hung up on the exact DCR readings.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    skinfreak said:
    Hmmm....I just went back to an old thread when i bought the Rebel Yell off here. The seller said it was 14.9k and yet I'm reading 14.58k this morning.  Obviously there's some deviation coming from somewhere but could my meter be consistently lower? I've long forgotten my electronics GCSE and mow I'm typing I might well be making a mountain out of a molehile. 0.3k difference on a different day with different weather? It's probably nothing.

Also found a person on Reverb hocking a Mule at 7.1k also. Maybe it is a Mule...

DC readings are affected by temperature, so that will usually explain some variance. Have you got any way of measuring the magnet strength?
    Tim
    How would I go about doing that? I think that means no
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 12001
    tFB Trader
    skinfreak said:

Warming a pickup in your hand for a few seconds will make more than 0.3k difference ... this is why DC resistance is total bullshit. 
    Also just going between 50mm spacing and 52mm spacing will make WAY more than 0.3k 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    How to identify a pickup:

1. Install the pickup in your guitar.
    2. Play it and listen to the sound.
    3a. If you like the sound, it's a Good Pickup.
    3b. Forget about everything else.
    4a. If you don't like the sound, it's still a Good Pickup but you don't like it, so
    4b. remove it and put something else in.

:)

Sorry for the sarcasm, but remember that the variation in old Gibson humbuckers - all of which sound great, at least when someone knows they're from 1958-1960 - is probably greater than between many different models of PAF-alike pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom