Apple M1 chip compatibility

Looking to update my late 2013 intel based iMac 27 with a 2021 M1 based machine. The current Mac still performs quite well but it doesn't receive most of the updates anymore including the actual OS so it's time for it to go and invest in something more future proof. 

I understand that in some cases support for M1 chip from non Apple software developers is a bit limited. 
Does anyone on here have a Mac with an M1 chip and can confirm it works well with Line 6 software including HX edit, also are there any issues with drivers for Helix, is the connection stable? Looking at line 6 forums there are a few threads on how they things were not so well when these silicone chips came out, can't see anything recent though to confirm it's all sorted now. 

Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 379
    edited July 6
    I’ve had no problems whatsoever with m-series processors and HX edit or HX native (tested on M1 Air, M1 Mini and M3 Pro) I’d say go for it. 
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1337
    Sweet, thanks @Chimpankie!
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3093
    I just received a new M3 Max MacBook Pro for work, and found that none of the Audinate Dante software will install without Rosetta also being installed.

I just tried HX Edit, and that needs Rosetta too.

• ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 379
    I just received a new M3 Max MacBook Pro for work, and found that none of the Audinate Dante software will install without Rosetta also being installed.

I just tried HX Edit, and that needs Rosetta too.

Yes, it still shows up in Activity Monitor as Intel so is running through Rosetta, but I've had no performance or compatibility issues at all. Native is native for m-series, however. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9770
    Ive had some compatibility issues with my M1 MB Pro, but got it all sorted.

No issues what so ever with Line 6 products.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1337
    Really thanks all for the input.

Fell for the internet hype and pulled the trigger on an M1 Mac mini today, it's arriving on Thursday and fingers crossed it'll do what people say it does. It was initially going to be a 24 iMac M1 but went to see it in a flesh at local Currys and while the picture quality was very pretty the screen itself was stupid small. I was trying to convince myself I'd be fine with a little bit smaller screen but after seeing it - nope, no chance!

Now torn between a 36 inch curved ultra wide which I fancy a lot due to the amount of work space available and a regular 32 inch 4k curved for the amount of pixels and better quality. What you lot use with your machines?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10719
    I have a motherboard from an M1 Air running a 27" Asus monitor ... kinda like a poor man's iMac 
    You could mount the Mini behind a decent screen and it would basically be an iMac anyway then 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3093
    I bought one of these in March 2016: https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/ultrawide/34uc97-s

It's still going strong.

Of course, it's now 8 years old and relatively old technology compared to what's available these days, but it's perfectly fine for my use case (mostly use it for IT-related work, and use Logic occasionally).

My recommendation: get the best monitor you can afford, but don't over-spec it. For example, unless you're doing 4K video editing or something, you don't need ultra-fast response times.

HTH.

R.