Nux Cerberus

thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2348
edited July 8 in Digital & Modelling
Anyone else been using one of these live?

After a rather long and failed experiment with the Helix, Boss GX100 and others...  I've gone down the simpler route.  Bought one of these from Crack Converters and am actually surprised how nice it is.     The drives are analog, and I think that was my main issue with the Helix etc is that I just don't like Digital drives.   However, the Cerberus has two analog drives,  and a separate boost.

I was pleasantly surprised by a very nice delay and decent modulation options.  The chorus is sounds really nice and not too syrupy. The tremolo is preferable to anything I was able to get from the Helix.    The Phaser and vibe are usable as well.    The reverb is also perfectly fine,   there are 3 types (Hall, spring, plate), and the latest firmware  added a shimmer which you can swap one out for one of the others should you be of that persuastion..

I've added a couple of drive pedals in the front which all work very well together stacked with everything else. going to buy a tonex one and either use that for another drive pedal or as amp for going direct.  I  Also bought a mini joyo wah/volume pedal which again so far has been fine..  There are 8 loadable IR slots on the unit and the cab Sim/IR can be switched off globally at the touch of a button.

I've added a two button mosky footswitch which I've assigned to use for Tap tempo, and the boost button.  This means I can turn chorus on/off and have another switch for the other modulation effects. 

There's some midi functionality, presets, an effects loop, and a basic but functionable tuner on board..

Will try it at band practice tomorrow, but even as a desktop practice tool/ backup board  I'm really surprised by how much I like it.

It clearly does not have the functionality and depth of Helix etc, but for a decent sounding multi it at a very competitive price point it does sound great!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• markslade07markslade07 Frets: 845
    I had one and used it with my old band for about 6 months or so. I got it as I needed to free up some cash so sold my Helix LT and grabbed one of these. 
    Long story short…sounded decent, though always had its little quirks in use so if I’d stayed with the band, it probably wouldn’t have stayed with me long term, though perhaps an extra footswitch and a couple of external pedals may have fixed that.

Couldnt really grumble for the price. I’m onto a Valeton GP200 now which is a bit more flexible but I don’t think sounds ‘better’

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1429
    Used, and still use the Cerberus live. Got my presets set up across 4 banks. I just add a wah and a tuner before the Cerberus and I'm done. Couldn't be happier with it. Super reliable and versatile fly rig. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4903
    I had one a couple of years ago and quite liked it. I was also using a T-Rex Soulmate at the same time and preferred the sounds from that, so moved the Cerberus on (or maybe it was a new product return - don't quite remember) but my memory is that the Cerberus was a lot of tone for the money. Anyone looking in this space should give it a go if they can. 

The one thing I do remember is the gain control for the overdrive was "stepped" rather than "continuous". As I moved it up, I could hear it jump from value to value. But that wasn't an operational issue, just an observation I remember. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2348
    Mine died a death on me… going back .