Reacher

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4376
    Philly_Q said:
    I have to admit the James Patterson bits bring down the "new Michael Crichton" book Eruption a fair bit... the conclusion being...

The F-15 was definitely going to have to crash

The main character was going to die.

Definitely

OMG things just got worse.

They are proper fucked now.

Definitely dead.

Oh hang on everything's fine.

I didn't know Patterson had completed a Crichton book.  He probably did it on a wet Tuesday afternoon, in between writing a Michael Bennett book and the next Women's Murder Club opus.

That's a deadly combination though.  I have to say, of the two I'd rather read Patterson.  I've only read one Crichton - Congo - but I can confidently say it's one of the most badly-written, boring books I've ever read.
    Oh I like most of Crichton's stuff - got into him through Jurassic Park and the sequel.

Congo was middling at best for his stuff - very eccentric movie made of it with Tim Curry in though.
    There’s another two  , where a team of people travel back to medieval France , and one with a swarm of nano bots  that escape , I remember reading one about a man who suffers from rage & kills people so they put a special chip in his head & it goes wrong . Andromeda strain is a classic though 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12809
    Philly_Q said:
    I have to admit the James Patterson bits bring down the "new Michael Crichton" book Eruption a fair bit... the conclusion being...

The F-15 was definitely going to have to crash

The main character was going to die.

Definitely

OMG things just got worse.

They are proper fucked now.

Definitely dead.

Oh hang on everything's fine.

I didn't know Patterson had completed a Crichton book.  He probably did it on a wet Tuesday afternoon, in between writing a Michael Bennett book and the next Women's Murder Club opus.

That's a deadly combination though.  I have to say, of the two I'd rather read Patterson.  I've only read one Crichton - Congo - but I can confidently say it's one of the most badly-written, boring books I've ever read.
    Oh I like most of Crichton's stuff - got into him through Jurassic Park and the sequel.

Congo was middling at best for his stuff - very eccentric movie made of it with Tim Curry in though.
    There’s another two  , where a team of people travel back to medieval France , and one with a swarm of nano bots  that escape , I remember reading one about a man who suffers from rage & kills people so they put a special chip in his head & it goes wrong . Andromeda strain is a classic though 
    Yeah Timeline is the time-travelling one and is one of his very best, and the swarm one is Prey - which has the best build up of any of Crichton's novels.

The chip one is a really early novel - the Terminal Man IIRC.

There is also Sphere which is also a good one - which was made into an OK film with Dustin Hoffmann and Samuel L Muthafuckin Jackson - again IIRC.

Along with the, frankly odd, anti-climate change book "State of Fear", he also wrote another very odd one called "Next" - basically a warning about genetics and the idea of patenting genes.

Pirate Latitudes is the best of the post-mortem ones.  The others lack the fun science diversions that Crichton wrote into his best stuff.  Micro is depressing like this as clearly Crichton was wanting to write about the incredible ecosystems in our gardens, and it was finished by someone cashing a cheque.  So now you have to play "Grounded" to enjoy those...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12809
    ...oh I forgot "Airframe" - that's one of my favourites.

Pretty much outed myself as a fan now...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom