Humbucker for a brighter/tighter high gain

What's Hot
ElwoodElwood Frets: 460
Afternoon all. Some rainy afternoon recommendations for a humbucker are humbly requested.

I'm looking for something that will provide more treble to a mahogany superstrat (ebony/maple neck with vintage trem). It is for playing at home, so nothing that requires massive headroom to work. My preference is for something for a tight metal sound.

I think Dimarzio Evolution is the way to go, but am open to suggestions. I've tried a Seymour Duncan JB in a set neck guitar and while it was an improvement, it wasn't quite right. 

Thanks in advance. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31586
    Fender WRHB would be perfect.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    DiMarzio Evo or Duncan Distortion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7702
    Bill Lawrence L500XL, as favoured by Nuno and Dimebag.  

Be warned, it could take your head clean off.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 198
    Tonenerd Roxy

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7973
    I’d go Dimarzio Evolution if you mostly want searing leads, or Duncan Distortion if you mostly want tight rhythms. Either will work and I’ve used both and been happy. My memory is the Evolution is slightly brighter.

The Evo 2 is good too, if you think you’d prefer the Dimarzio and think the original Evolution might be a bit too much. If only one of the two is available used I’d just get whichever you find first, the difference wasn’t huge but it’d still be worth getting the one more to your taste if you had the choice 
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 891
    I really like the Oil City Airship Trooper. Also pairs very well with a Nightfighter in the neck. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 355
    Suhr Aldrich 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1291
    I'd suggest the Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon. Works brilliantly in a strat, tight bass, bright harmonically rich tonality. Contrary to what its name suggests though, it's not massively high output (more hot PAF levels) but takes gain really well.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15225
    Seymour Duncan Perpetual Burn Trembucker.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4406
    Oil City Djenerator. It's nice & tight, but really clear with gain. Also the Seymour Duncan Alpha or Omega (can't remember which is the bridge pickup) - it's absolutely massive sounding, but nice and tight too.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2543
    Of the pickups I've had, the brightest and surgically tightest has been a Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat.

You're right to avoid the JB, as it is neither of those things.

Ask 10 guitarists for pickup recommendations and you'll get 12 responses, but at least you'll have plenty of options to look into!
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    In my opinion you really need a ceramic magnet for tightness - there are many great higher-output pickups with alnico magnets, some of which are bright, but none of them have the same focused tightness in the bottom end as something like the Evo.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11878
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    In my opinion you really need a ceramic magnet for tightness - there are many great higher-output pickups with alnico magnets, some of which are bright, but none of them have the same focused tightness in the bottom end as something like the Evo.
    This ... I'd go for ceramic too, but not one of the double thickness magnet ones ... probably nowt over 13k or 14k (43awg) at the bridge ... there are quite a few pickups on the market that fit that bill :-) 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 460
    Thanks for the suggestions! Is 43awg the standard wire used in humbuckers? I think I've asked in the past about your Havoc pickup @OilCityPickups, that had something special going on? 
    tFB Trader
    Elwood said:
    Thanks for the suggestions! Is 43awg the standard wire used in humbuckers? I think I've asked in the past about your Havoc pickup @OilCityPickups, that had something special going on? 
    42awg (Thickest generally used for humbuckers) is used for PAF style lower output pickups. 43awg is used for medium output pickups, and is not as compressed as 44awg as used in for example the Duncan JB. 
    Yep the Havoc is a special case ... it has taller than standard bobbins so that you can use thicker wire to get a high output ... more clarity and less compression ... plus a triple magnet array for focused bass.
    I only wind these to special order these days as they are a little time consuming :-) 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20535
    Slightly surprised at no mentions of Neodymium humbuckers?
    tFB Trader
    Slightly surprised at no mentions of Neodymium humbuckers?
    Neos on their own are a bit over the top in the top end - brilliant for the bottom end mind ... 

• MolochMoloch Frets: 805
    ICBM said:
    Agreed. My choice for the same job was the Bare Knuckle Ragnarok and ooooooooooooooooh boy, that thing slices!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25052
    edited July 10
    Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat is bright and tight, maybe not a full-on metal pickup though.  It's great in a mahogany set-neck, I'm not sure what it would be like in a bolt-on (although of course all electric guitars sound exactly the same... ).

Edit:  Just noticed @timmypix has mentioned it already.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 460
    Moloch said:
    ICBM said:
    Agreed. My choice for the same job was the Bare Knuckle Ragnarok and ooooooooooooooooh boy, that thing slices!
    Looks great, though £195 for a single humbucker is very expensive!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom