Poopot's Cover Challenge #28 - the letter O

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28220
    I have 2 or 3 that are developing in parallel.

I could really do with some of @stickyfiddle 's girls to help out on mine too ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 519

I'm kind of regretting deciding to cover Britney Spears in the style of Opeth as syncopated metal riffs in time signatures I'm not accustomed to paying in has turned out to be a challenge. And then there's the matter of coming up with some drums.... Yeah...
    Oops, sounds like we've done the same as with No Limit, where you have a well crafted high effort version and I have a dashed off joke version.

I've got plenty of ideas for everything for a while, except Q which is a bit of a dead spot
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28140
    edited July 25
    For Q my immediate thought was just to do a QOTSA song and to hell with you all D 

But actually, my music app throws up a couple of reasonable options that actually start with Q..
    - Quiet Town (The Killers, from the excellent Pressure Machine)
    - Queen of California (Mayer)
    - Quiet Light (The National in a lovely baritone range )
    - Queen of Lower Chelsea (Gaslight Anthem) 
    - A Quick One While He's Away (The Who) - this would be great fun
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10166
    I'm sure others would say the same, but I'm always happy to provide vocals on other people's stuff if it's within my range - i'll be honest about what I can and can't do but happy to consider things. It's good practice for me
    Taking part in 1000 Lights - raising money for Uprawr Mental Health Foundation
    https://www.justgiving.com/page/pianomatt-1000lights
    Yes Q is looking a bit scant isn't it, though i reckon there's a couple I could go at in my Spotify liked songs list. Maybe for that round we need to include song titles which simply contain the letter Q?
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1836
    @idiotwind - have you put spyware into my DAW? This will be the third coincidence as we also both recorded a RickRoll too!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @idiotwind - have you put spyware into my DAW? This will be the third coincidence as we also both recorded a RickRoll too!
    flying_spyware
    Yes Q is looking a bit scant isn't it, though i reckon there's a couple I could go at in my Spotify liked songs list. Maybe for that round we need to include song titles which simply contain the letter Q?
    No. Absolutely not. It will be a difficult round but we just need to deal with it.

X will be worse. It'll simply be a question of whether people cover Rush or Olivia Newton John

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    For Q my immediate thought was just to do a QOTSA song and to hell with you all D 

But actually, my music app throws up a couple of reasonable options that actually start with Q..
    An out there suggestion would be Queen of Mean by Sarah Jeffrey (from the Disney made for TV movie Descendants 3)

I only know about this because my daughters subject me to it. Thankfully I can tolerate it by thinking "that would be good fun to jam over" and then stream it into my practice amp and let rip. It's led to them giving me various songs to jam over as a challenge. I've since learned that Taylor Swift is actually great fun to improv over too especially as virtually everything is in A aeolian
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 148
    No. Absolutely not. It will be a difficult round but we just need to deal with it.

X will be worse. It'll simply be a question of whether people cover Rush or Olivia Newton John

I'm going to do this for X:

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28220

I just did a quick query on my mp3s database.

169 tracks with a title beginning with "Q".  There's some duplication in there (same track on different albums, etc), and a few that embarrassingly appear to be misnamed, but still more than enough options in there.

But I might give the "X" challenge a miss. ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

I just did a quick query on my mp3s database.

169 tracks with a title beginning with "Q".  There's some duplication in there (same track on different albums, etc), and a few that embarrassingly appear to be misnamed, but still more than enough options in there.

But I might give the "X" challenge a miss. ;)

https://www.songfacts.com/browse/songs/q

There are a few ideas here, but not all that much.

I wonder for X if "Songs that contain an X" might be a better bet or there will likely be very few entries. 

I've got an idea for this time, but I just keep not getting around to it.
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 519

It's the drums that's the problem with The Who
    edited July 25
    Q is looking ok for me to be fair. For X I have only 6 songs in my Liked list on Spotify. Not many more for Z but they look like infinitely better options than X. 
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 260

I'm kind of regretting deciding to cover Britney Spears in the style of Opeth as syncopated metal riffs in time signatures I'm not accustomed to paying in has turned out to be a challenge. And then there's the matter of coming up with some drums.... Yeah...
    It seems mine might be similarish.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 148
    Habanero said:

It seems mine might be similarish.
    Fucking hell, me too! 
    Ooops, you all did it again?
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 260
    edited July 26
    I have to say that watching the video for Ooops as research could be a lot worse.
    Habanero said:
    I have to say that watching the video for Ooops as research could be a lot worse.
    Indeed. There are worse ways to spend ones time than alternating between Ms Spiers' video and Opeth's back catalogue