Anyone run a modeller (tonex/QC etc) into a Fender tonemaster?

What's Hot
I'm looking for a lightweight backline option, for on stage sounds to run my quad cortex or tonex into.
The Fender tone master amps would be great if they had an fx return or poweramp input,  as it would give the option to use it as a regular amp with pedals as well,  but I'd have to run into the front of the amp.    (I'm looking at the super reverb/twin and deluxe)

Has anyone run their modeller into the front of one  (cab IR disabled for that output), and found it useable or does the fender colour the sound too much?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• relic245relic245 Frets: 1037
    Not a tonemaster but I've tried my tonex into the front of a marshall dsl40cr set clean. 

My evaluation was that it was quite good and offered a lot of flexibility. 

However to me ears it was not as good as using the various channels of the marshall in the way they are supposed to be used, OR the tonex into a reasonable quality wedge monitor. 

So for me the amp is probably sulfurous. 

Out of interest what would that solution give you that is better than using pedals into the front of the amp?
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 610
    I think the new fender Bassman has an fx loop?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2758
    relic245 said:
    Not a tonemaster but I've tried my tonex into the front of a marshall dsl40cr set clean. 

My evaluation was that it was quite good and offered a lot of flexibility. 

However to me ears it was not as good as using the various channels of the marshall in the way they are supposed to be used, OR the tonex into a reasonable quality wedge monitor. 

So for me the amp is probably sulfurous. 

Out of interest what would that solution give you that is better than using pedals into the front of the amp?

I can run the tonex or QC into the PA and have the sounds I need stored as presets.   I currently just use PA wedges for most gigs but sometimes use a bogner combo with a poweramp input.    I want a lightweight combo that sounds ok on it's own and with the modeller.   Feels like Fender missed a trick not including fx loop on these. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10719

If you aren't interested in the Fender sounds of the Tonemaster then it would be a lot cheaper to just buy the same Icepower module Fender use and screw it into a passive cab. Then add an input socket and a volume control. 

These things are very easy to integrate into designs, they are used in Sub woofers, Hi Fi's etc. Basically give the module mains power, connect a speaker and give it some audio. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 215
    Fender do some FRFR cabinets under the Tonemaster brand which would be much simpler - just a powered cabinet with either 10" or 12" speaker.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • willowillo Frets: 417
    Fender do some FRFR cabinets under the Tonemaster brand which would be much simpler - just a powered cabinet with either 10" or 12" speaker.
    Yep was going to suggest this. Feels like the best option unless you really want Fenders tonemaster models. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2758

Indeed I nearly bought a Fender fr10 or 12, but if a twin or super reverb sounds passable then it would give more options to use it without the modeller.    

I could always just get a lightweight cab and use a thomann power amp that I have somewhere but an all in one solution would be easier. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 623
    I've got the FR10 and am very happy with it (previously used a Yamaha DXR10).
  • NickBNickB Frets: 282
    I have an FR12. It's good for personal monitoring but you'll need to also put yourself in the PA.
  • DNHDNH Frets: 15
    I tried running my hx stomp into the front of my tone master deluxe reverb and it didn’t sound great to me, either with or without the cabs enabled. I have also tried the stomp into an FR12 and it sounded significantly better.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2675
    I'd look at Quilter.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7892
    Danny1969 said:

If you aren't interested in the Fender sounds of the Tonemaster then it would be a lot cheaper to just buy the same Icepower module Fender use and screw it into a passive cab. Then add an input socket and a volume control. 

These things are very easy to integrate into designs, they are used in Sub woofers, Hi Fi's etc. Basically give the module mains power, connect a speaker and give it some audio. 

Would the volume control be the equivalent of the power setting switch on the tonemaster in that steup? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • daveyb27daveyb27 Frets: 13
    Has anyone used their FR10 or 12 for gigging? I’m seriously thinking about buying one after being underwhelmed with using a Yamaha DBR12 as a monitor but am concerned about volume. Is it loud enough?
  • NickBNickB Frets: 282
    daveyb27 said:
    Has anyone used their FR10 or 12 for gigging? I’m seriously thinking about buying one after being underwhelmed with using a Yamaha DBR12 as a monitor but am concerned about volume. Is it loud enough?
    I have a couple of times. You’re going to need to run a line to the PA as it gets lost in a larger room. But it sounds very good. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 623

daveyb27 said:
    I've used my FR-10 on some small-ish pub gigs and it was plenty loud enough. I had it behind me, up on a stand at about waist height. 
    I use it with a Fractal FM9 - output on the Fractal set to +4db and the output volume on the Fractal at 3 o'clock. Volume control on the FR-10 at 12 o'clock so plenty in reserve. At soundcheck on the last gig, the landlord shoved his dB meter in my face and told us to turn down as we were hitting 103dB. I ran a little bit into the PA just to help fill out the sound but that was more for balance/ spread than volume.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28140
    I haven't used a full modeller, but mine sounds great with an Origin Revival Drive in front. I set the TMDR clean & flat and use each side of the RD to give me "juicy Fender" and "hot Marshall" sounds
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10719
    TimmyO said:
    Danny1969 said:

Would the volume control be the equivalent of the power setting switch on the tonemaster in that steup? 
    The Tonemaster attenuator works by lowering the volume before it hits the Icepower power amp but I guess the modelling also adds a bit of grit to simulate a harder working output stage. 

With a class D amplifier there's no point tone wise in driving it hard ... it will just sound worse the harder you drive it. 

www.2020studios.co.uk