Favourite Valve Amp

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2079
edited July 10 in Amps
What's the best bang for buck, quality valve amp you've played (that's practical)? Or do you go AxeFX?

I like Roland JC type things with a pedal, so I'll take a step back on this one...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 200
    Need more info!!

Depends on what type of music, how loud you need it, amp only or pedals, what sounds do you need, etc.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 1037
    For me it's the marshall dsl40cr.

But I would say that as it's what I use.

I think this is likely to be a thread of people telling you what amp they own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4237
    edited July 11
    I know it’s expensive but the Two Rock CRS  is actually a bargain in real terms as it’s the only amp you’ll need . Over the yrs I’ve spent that much money on Amps I could have had a back line of the things  
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 1118
    For £500 my Wienbrock Gringo was unbeatable, only sold it as I had more expensive amps that only just beat it.
       I love my 5e3 Tweedy-lux, but probably my favourite is my 1966 Vox AC50, cost me about £650 and is just brilliant.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1579
    For me it's the Falcon Grande, 3 "channels" take you from blackface cleans to tweed crunch to fuzzy supro lead, I popped a greenback in it and it sound great. 

Reverbs thick and lush with a dwell control. 

Has an attenuator built in so great for home use. 

Downside..no independent volume controls on the channels, while ok at a gig, harder to manage at home. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31346
    Tone King Imperial Mk2.

Absolutely wonderful, light and very versatile.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7367
    Fender Super Reverb - from HI-FI clean to whatever dirt you want (with a pedal) and every guitar loves it. Looks Super cool too
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10165
    I've played supposedly "better" amps but never liked anything as much as I liked the modest bog standard Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
    Taking part in 1000 Lights - raising money for Uprawr Mental Health Foundation
    https://www.justgiving.com/page/pianomatt-1000lights
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7942
    I've played supposedly "better" amps but never liked anything as much as I liked the modest bog standard Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
    Piano player!!! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10165
    Piano player!!! :)
    Yeah I am but i do play guitar too!
    Taking part in 1000 Lights - raising money for Uprawr Mental Health Foundation
    https://www.justgiving.com/page/pianomatt-1000lights
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 793
    Trace Elliot Velocette

Class A amp, if you've played this amp clean, you'll know.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4376
    I’ve only got a DSLR 1 CR   But I would imagine the blues Junior or hot Rod deluxe
      peavey classic seems a good deal used though, then there’s all those Laneys .

But then twin reverbs , princetons & DR’s all sound amazing too  and the little jubilee combos 
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 429
    Bang for buck? Gonna have to be Laney. VC30 & GH50 are 2 models that deliver way more their price suggests.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5361
    Victoria 5112 for me. Two inputs, one control knob (on/off volume), single ended beaut
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2291
    I like vox type amps. So IMHO find out the general type you like fender Marshall vox and then find the make and model you can afford.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6040
    edited July 11
    Best bang for buck amp I’ve ever had/played is without doubt the Kustom Coupe 36. 

A bit like a better and more rounded version of a Hot Rod Deluxe. Never bonded with the one I had because it was a little too modern for my taste. Great low end and sparkling highs, good reverb and every point from deep and rich cleans to face melting drive. Personally I like a more vintage sounding one trick pony vibe but there’s no denying this amp is the total package 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9794
    We've all got our favourites, but don't skimp on an amp. It delivers a bigger chunk of your sound than the diminishing returns of a high end vs mid price guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 164
    +1 for the Kustom, very impressed with mine (and I'm a JC fan and don't generally gush over valves)

Ian
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2563
    My MJW is very good value for a handwired turret board twin channel amp with valve driven reverb, and sounds fantastic. 
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!