Radiohead Albums

What's Hot
nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1579
The recent news on Jonny Greenwood got me thinking about my love of Radiohead, I got into The Bends first, was an amazing album and really defined my musical taste at that point in life, stepped back into Pablo Honey, and while a solid alt rock album, it never quite grasped me the same, OK Computer was great. I enjoyed some of Kid A, but beyond that, I never really "got it".

In order of Preference

The Bends
OK Computer
Pablo Honey
Everything else.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29408
    I'd go:

Pablo Honey
    The Bends (darned nearly joint first)
    Half of OK Computer
    That one from In Rainbows that's OK
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 462
    In Rainbows is a perfect album.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12687
    The bends is in the top 5 albums by anyone for me I love every song. 

Then ok computer possibly just pips Pablo honey. 

Then everything else which I still rate highly. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4672
    Erm, what recent news on Jonny G?

Hail to the Thief is my fave and have not nor never will listen to Moon Shaped Pool
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12811
    nero1701 said:
    The recent news on Jonny Greenwood got me thinking about my love of Radiohead,...
    Ooooh - tough, tough!!

I'll play though.  This is very personal, not supposed to be a "critical objective" thing...

OK Computer - masterpiece in every way.
    The Bends - masterpiece in almost every way.
    Kid A - masterpiece
    Amnesiac - almost masterpiece
    In Rainbows - why is this below Amnesiac?  Don't know, probably shouldn't be.
    Moon Shaped Pool - slow burning but wonderful record.
    HTTF - yeah its great, course it is, just not AS great.
    TKOL - It's not quite there is it?
    Pablo Honey - its just not Radiohead... really?  Like just three-guitar indie rock done very well...

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Thom Yorke's solo stuff is also pretty damn good.  I bought a vinyl copy of Phil Selway's last album and that's a corker, collect Thom's solo stuff on Cd...

God... I'm boring, but fuck it :)
    munckee said:
    Fake Plastic Trees would be a good jam setlist number eh @munckee ??

First song I ever learnt on the guitar back in 1998 or so :lol:
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 404
    Love a bit of Radiohead. My order of preference:
    1. The Bends
    2. OK Computer 
    3. In Rainbows 
    4. Kid A
    5. A Moon Shaped Pool
    6. Amnesiac
    7. Hail to the Thief
    8. Pablo Honey
    9. King of Limbs
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    tFB Trader
    I would go

In Rainbows
    The Bends
    Ok Computer
    Kid A
    Hail To The Thief
    Amnesiac
    A Moon Shaped Pool

Don't like
    King Of Limbs
    Pablo Honey
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4017
    DesVegas said:
    Erm, what recent news on Jonny G?

Hail to the Thief is my fave and have not nor never will listen to Moon Shaped Pool
    He was in hospital https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1dmp5x758xo

Why won’t you listen to Moon Shaped Pool at least once to have a valid opinion on it? My favourite Radiohead album changes but it would be in the list. But my top 3 today are probably OK Computer, The Bends and In Rainbows (or possibly Amnesiac). 

• oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 920
    I like all of their albums well enough but 'Kid A' is a perfect album.
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3403
    I knew Radiohead from ‘Drill’ which I got after seeing them supporting Ride (I think it was Ride) … anyways Pablo Honey was perfect for its time and I sti listen to it..

I didn’t really like The Bends and gave up after OK Computer..

ffwd a few years after I re visited The Bends and OK Computer and started to appreciate them but cannot beat Pablo Honey although I would say ‘Let Down’ is probably my fave song out of the 3 albums.

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2706
    I love all the albums about equally, except Pablo Honey, which I've listened to a couple of times but it never made an impact. My favourite might be A Moon-Shaped Pool - what Greenwood does with the string arrangements there is extraordinary - or at least it's the one I'm most likely to listen to when I get an urge to listen to a Radiohead album. I'm hugely impressed by his work with orchestras, particularly his Paul Thomas Anderson scores, partly because Anderson gets him to do things he wouldn't normally do (for example, the unabashed sentimentality of the music for Phantom Thread). The The Smile albums are also pretty good. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10827
    edited July 14
    I liked On A Friday and Headless Chickens; not so keen on Radiohead when they went commercial. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12687
    munckee said:
    Fake Plastic Trees would be a good jam setlist number eh @munckee ??

First song I ever learnt on the guitar back in 1998 or so :lol:
    It would. I used to know paranoid android which would be a doozy.  

Bagsy not singing though!
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    nero1701 said:
    The recent news on Jonny Greenwood got me thinking about my love of Radiohead, I got into The Bends first, was an amazing album and really defined my musical taste at that point in life, stepped back into Pablo Honey, and while a solid alt rock album, it never quite grasped me the same, OK Computer was great. I enjoyed some of Kid A, but beyond that, I never really "got it".

In order of Preference

The Bends
    OK Computer
    Pablo Honey
    Everything else.
    I'd concur wholeheartedly.  The Bends is a great album and for me, everything else trails in its' wake.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3353
    edited July 14
    I always find this an interesting one because folks get so polarised on it. I love Pablo Honey, it was brilliant and of its time -I can still listen to it with a smile, a nostalgic one, but a smile nonetheless. Were The Bends and Ok Computer better? By a long way, (I’d go so far as to say Let Down and No Surprises are probably two of the greatest songs ever written) but PH wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t as developed. Equally, where they’ve gone since is incredible. Hail to The Thief and In Rainbows are absolute masterpieces, yet I can still return to King of Limbs and have wow moments too. There isn’t a bad Radiohead album, just some that are immediate grabbers and some that are more slow burn. Either way, simply awesome band and Jonny is god, not Eric.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6687
    I enjoyed The Bends at the time and OK Computer has some good stuff on it but overall they are a band I just can’t listen to. There’s something that feels oppressive* about the mood their music creates that I don’t enjoy. 

The Pyramid Song was the one that really put me off them. Just felt like a band deliberately being obtuse.

*oppressive like when a dark cloud descends over the house, not oppressive like when you don’t employ women or recognise LGBT rights

As the last survivors crawled up the hill to the parley, walking around the piles of the fallen, in this greatest of battles, they wondered at the cost... was this war worth it?  Could the cost ever be worth it?

The great peacemaker stood in the midst of the crowd, and simply spoke "you know what, I enjoy both the Bends AND OK Computer"...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 429
    Kid A sent me on a 20 year journey of trying to discern what Radiohead have done with choruses.

I’m still 50/50 about the whole of OK Computer though, so probably not the best judge of their later work.