Belated NGD: 90s Danelectro Sparkle Blue Convertible

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1533
Picked this up a few months back. I am in two minds on whether to flip it or keep it. It sounds nice with a bit of gain. It sounds kind of lofi, like something you'd hear on an old rock n'roll record.
Some kind of tremolo on it would be interesting. The crappy bridge makes you kind of hold back on digging in. Maybe a tremolo could solidify the feeling. One of those old Tiesco style vibratos maybe? 
I had one of the later reissues and the headstock wasn't tilted back like this one.
guitar-danelectro-convertible
guitar-danelectro-convertible
0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6226
    Fabulous thing!  <3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    Very cool. I do miss my black one a bit...

I screwed the bridge down on mine and filed the grooves in the 'saddle' slightly deeper, which helped when playing harder.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20535
    edited July 14
    HNG. Needs a Bigsby    Looks waaay cool, hope you can bond & enjoy it 1 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5734
    Oh aye!!
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1533
    HNG. Needs a Bigsby    Looks waaay cool, hope you can bond & enjoy it 1 
    Body seems fairly light, not sure if a Bigsby would be too heavy! But it would look good yes!
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 699
    Still think that looks amazing, fantastic guitar. I love the boxy acoustic sound they make (I'm a big fan of the first few Gomez albums and this was that sound all over). Shamelessly I would still bite your hand off if you decide to move it on!

Trying to remember if the headstock was tilted on the one I used to have... Pretty sure it had the "D"-stamped tuners so might have been a different variant. Going to see if I can find some pictures...
    Turns out it did tilt back!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DsH8LDQL3c2Oo-aOhFzpMGymm0WSvkqH/view?usp=drivesdk

Don't think the U2 I had did. And pretty sure a 59 DC they had at the school I worked at (the later ones with the weird wavy headstock) didn't either.
    edited July 16
    @simonhpieman I just plugged it into a little Pignose amp, and turned it up full. I think it sounds better with lower gain, not that the amp on full was a bad sound, but it could have been any other guitar in theory with loads of gain.
    The acoustic kind of jangle comes through on lower gain. It also sounds good with fuzz!
    As it's so quirky looking I may just hold on to it yet. I was going to replace it with a U1 reissue!
    I had a later model of Convertible, the current run, and fairly sure the headstock didn't tilt back, much like the 59 stock reissue.
    The model I have now, I could be mistaken, but the neck feels a bit chunkier, but I could be wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You could be right. The neck was more acoustic than electric on mine for sure. I feel like the later Chinese Danos all shared the same neck and they just made different body shapes.

I actually meant the purely unplugged acoustic sound, though I remember it feeling very alive when plugged in. I think I only ever played it in a rehearsal once, sadly. It was a long time ago now!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 16
    Oh yeah, acoustically, it is its' own thing. Trashy! Ah, so Gomez used one on their stuff?
    Oh yeah, acoustically, it is its' own thing. Trashy! Ah, so Gomez used one on their stuff?
    I don't think so, but a lot of their acoustic guitars all sound like lofi junk on that first album (in the best way!). The Convertible nails that  =)
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1771
    I don't think so, but a lot of their acoustic guitars all sound like lofi junk on that first album (in the best way!). The Convertible nails that  =)
    Thanks for reminding me about early Gomez, who I had completely forgotten (thanks to no longer having cds).

The guitar is quite something - you'll have a queue forming when you're eady to move it on. HNsparkly blue GD!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    Well, I'll post it here first if I do decide to sell it! Only thing, it is in Ireland / EU, if that puts people off! A GAS killer :)