Boss COSM modelling...is it really as bad as people make out ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    I didn't realise the Power Stack was digital. 

It's a very nice pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I can't use any other digital modelling stuff since I got the Kemper and properly learned how to use it - even the Axe FX. I had both for about 3 months. Kemper stayed, Axe FX went.

The Boss stuff just isn't as good, nor are any of the VST's out there.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    When I watch comparison vids like posted in the OP...between the highly regarded Line 6 Pod HD models and the GT-100...I think that Line 6 is better...but at least from a listening point of view I don't hear night n day differences that would justify the disparity in how these 2 brands are perceived for their digital modelling. Glenn shows both can sound really good in the right hands.......
  • monquixote;404136" said:
    I didn't realise the Power Stack was digital. 

It's a very nice pedal.
    I really like it, but at volume there is a slight cocked wah thing going on. Slight, but there.

It's perfect for iron Maiden who has a thing going on like that anyway. And it is a great sounding pedal, I had no idea it was digital until a few months back to be honest!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I really like it, but at volume there is a slight cocked wah thing going on. Slight, but there.

It's perfect for iron Maiden who has a thing going on like that anyway. And it is a great sounding pedal, I had no idea it was digital until a few months back to be honest!

?

I've never heard the "half-cocked wah" thing with Maiden......(I know all the guitarists have/do use a wah though........)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited November 2014

I've got a VG-99 [had it for several years and toured it many times too]..

my take on COSM is.....

no it's not super accurate modelling.. the Axe and KPA seem to have all that side of things well and truely nailled..

however, that don't mean that you cannot get good / usable tones with it.. they can be made to sound great..

my only criticism is that with hi-gain tones, you have to be careful how much top end you have, cos too much can make the highs a little kazoo like.. to you have to goof around a little to find the right freq [and Q] to boost just enough to provide good definition, whilst trying to avoid over stimulating that fizzy quality..

the only thing I've ever used that has modelling sorted is the Axe.. I have one and adore it..

I heard great things about the KPA [which I have no reason to doubt], but I've never actually played thtough one...

ancient wisdom: it don't matter what kit you have, who it's made by or what it cost, it's so easy to make absolutely anything sound shit..

play every note as if it were your first
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4787
    I've not played the new GT100. The modelling in my old GT3 was poor by modern standards and although the GT6 was better it was still sterile. I played a GT8 in store and it was OKish but still sterile and nowhere near as natural sounding as the Vox Tonelabs, Zoom G5 or the Pod HD series.

Re the Blackstar ID amps, they have the best modelling I've heard from gear in that price range. Much in the way Fender has a floorboard mfx version of its Mustang amps, I'd like to see Blackstar bring out a floorboard mfx version of its ID amps but with patchnaming and easy access between stomp box and patch preset modes, and a better tuner.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • mike_l;404399" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

I really like it, but at volume there is a slight cocked wah thing going on. Slight, but there. It's perfect for iron Maiden who has a thing going on like that anyway. And it is a great sounding pedal, I had no idea it was digital until a few months back to be honest!

?

I've never heard the "half-cocked wah" thing with Maiden......(I know all the guitarists have/do use a wah though........)
    Not half cocked, but there is something in the midrange of the pedal that makes you sound like iron Maiden that just can't be dialled out.

It's the kinda thing you get with a wah, but without removing everything else - more accurate to imagine a multiband eq with one slider permanently set a little higher.

Cool sound, but the fact I couldn't get rid of it stopped me buying. I didn't realise it was digital at the time, I ended up walking out with a Marshall gv-2 instead which has a bit less gain but can still get classic metal and do a whole lot more.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    ^^So some mids then.......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_l said:
    ^^So some mids then.......
    Try one and you'll see what I mean ;) even if you scoop the hell out of it, there is this sound there. 

As luck would have it, the PGS demo shows it for iron maiden lead sounds - it's *that* sound, exactly! I don't know the best way to describe it. 

It sounds great, but it put me off buying it, I just couldn't shake it. 
  • I'm a massive, massive fan of the GT5. I used to use it directly plugged into the power amp of my Laney World Series.

Key thing is (as others have mentioned) start off with just an amp model, and then go from there. I could never nail a tone, but I could get something very usable, plus the fact that it was all programmable meant I could set and forget it (mostly).

I found running it through the power amp of my combo, I'd get good sounds using the pre-amp of the COSM, with a bit of speaker emulation (I forget the percentages). As it was running through a 2x12 anyway, it didn't need much to give it a bit more character (I was adjusting the dry/fx balance for the speaker emulation).

I also used to use the board as just effects pedals (so no COSM) in front of the old JCM900 master volume, with great effect.

I still keep being tempted by a GT5, but  I can't really justify it (I have a VG99 I might get rid of at some point).