Max Temp today is expected to be 43 Degrees C........ (In Hungary)

What's Hot

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4196
    I much prefer it when it is raining.  Anything over 22C and I break out in a sweat. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8168
    43 degrees! Ez kurva meleg.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    edited July 16
    I much prefer it when it is raining.  Anything over 22C and I break out in a sweat. 
    I broadly agree, although I prefer not to be actually out in the rain... don't mind if it's just light rain, but if it's pissing down like last night it's miserable.  I'm lucky enough to be a fairly non-sweaty person, but I hate being too warm.

43 degrees is just mad.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12150
    I have been enjoying the recent weather.

I am not sweating walking outside.  I don't need to wear factor 50 when I walk to town.  I can sleep comfortably at night.

Considering I was sick for about 2 weeks right up until last week....had it been like 30c all that time it would have been very hard going.  People complaint about not having a real summer....most of them have a short memory.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2534
    Wish we could have 1/2 of that at the moment - barely hit 20 so far this July

Isn't half of 43C actually -115C? ie half the temperature between "no temperature" (-273C) and 43C.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12505
    England is the new Shetlands, grey, drizzly and mild from June to August. What a treat.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1460
    It'll be 42 degrees when I get back to Spain this weekend. Try working in it! :( 
    edited July 17
    Came back from Andalucia recently where it was 43-45 degrees most of the day.  And we were sightseeing and walking loads - uphill, downhill etc etc.  Was not pleasant.
    People stay INSIDE in Andalucia when it is that hot. Being outside sightseeing in that heat is dangerous and a very silly thing to do. If you watch the news there, that is heat alert territory. Actually, I will say sightseeing and walking in that heat is f**king batsh*t crazy! :) 
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 656
    Came back from Andalucia recently where it was 43-45 degrees most of the day.  And we were sightseeing and walking loads - uphill, downhill etc etc.  Was not pleasant.
    People stay INSIDE in Andalucia when it is that hot. Being outside sightseeing in that heat is dangerous and a very silly thing to do. If you watch the news there, that is heat alert territory. Actually, I will say sightseeing and walking in that heat is f**king batsh*t crazy! :) 

About half an hour is enough. Heat stroke can arrive quickly and will kill. I came close recently were I felt ok until suddenly I wasn't and dropped everything and came inside under a cool shower immediately.

You can acclimatise up to a point but if you are not used to it it is far better to stay inside and respect the heat. Most Brits will not be used to anything like these temperatures and even the locals here are struggling. 

As Creed said it is one thing popping over for 5 days it is quite another living and working in it.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2684
    A 'heatwave' is nearly upon us here in Perth. Might hit 20 degrees on Friday!!! I might leave the house in just a t-shirt!!
    Jetsam1 said:
    About half an hour is enough. Heat stroke can arrive quickly and will kill. I came close recently were I felt ok until suddenly I wasn't and dropped everything and came inside under a cool shower immediately.

You can acclimatise up to a point but if you are not used to it it is far better to stay inside and respect the heat. Most Brits will not be used to anything like these temperatures and even the locals here are struggling. 

As Creed said it is one thing popping over for 5 days it is quite another living and working in it.
    I hate to say it, but look at the sad case of Dr Michael Mosley, just a few weeks ago.
    edited July 17
    Thing is, people jump on a plane in 20 degrees, and arrive in a place that is 40 degrees, and do normal walking and sightseeing stuff. It's mental. That will only screw with your head, your body, and your health.
    The only thing you can do in 43 degrees is lay by a pool, on a beach, or stay at home, and suffer through the heat. I don't even think the locals acclimatise to it. They all complain about how hot it is, but have to carry on.
    The way things are going, I think Wales might become the new "Costa del Cloud" ! ;p 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 819
    edited July 17
    My Dad would never go abroad. He spent the war in India and Burma. He said he’d been abroad, hated it, didn’t want to go there anymore. 

Increasingly that seems like an avant-garde prescient attitude. My lovely Mrs. loves holidays abroad; I’m beginning to dread them. 

Probably just means I’m turning into a) my father, b) a silly old git or c) a lazy person. 

;-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4196
    Ffs it's due to be 29C here on Friday.  It will be impossible to work, sleep, noisy neighbourhood god I really do need to move to the outer hebridees.
    Problem in the UK etc, is when it hits 29 degress, there's humidity, houses that are designed to keep in the heat usually, full of carpets, blinds, curtains etc. No air con. A nightmare!
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 422
    I used to be a deeply tanned outdoor worker. The hottest temps I have experienced were in Morocco around 45 on a rooftop patio with a tap and a bucket.

I'm 58 next birthday, pretty sedentary nowadays. Last night was hot enough for me, 18 overnight with a tree full of Pigeons outside means no open windows before they start their fuckery at 4am.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12150
    edited July 17
    Problem in the UK etc, is when it hits 29 degress, there's humidity, houses that are designed to keep in the heat usually, full of carpets, blinds, curtains etc. No air con. A nightmare!
    The good insulation isn't a problem, insulation works both ways.  It has to warm inside the house first and the insulation is good at keeping heat out as well as in.  The problem are mainly to do with....

1 - Low ceilings.  In the med, the ceilings are much higher, allow more space for hot air to rise.
    2 - Windows have shutters OUTSIDE in the med.  To be able to block out the sun coming inside helps a lot.
    3 - Buildings are not painted white to reflect the sun back.  
    4 - We don't really use air conditioning in this country.

I mean having tiled floor helps, but the main things are low ceilings and no shutters.

To help...you need to open windows on both sides of the house for cross ventilation.  Then install shutters outside the windows if possible.  Even sticking cardboard on the window helps.
    The main reason I returned to the office 5 days a week post-Covid is.... air con.

It's just struck me that when I retire next year there'll be no air conditioned office to escape to.  I'll have to have a think about that.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15985
    my place in Devon was fantastic in the heat. It's a cob cottage, with walls something like 4 foot thick. Even in the height of a heat wave it never really got warm inside, you couldn't walk around in a tee shirt and shorts, it was too cold. In the winter it held in the heat fantastically.
    Apparently tomorrow is gonna hit the high 20's and I'm working. High 20's is nice in the shade of a beech tree, or in a nice beer garden. But working in heavy boots and uniform it's gonna be a sweaty hell for me. Last time our control got sniffy when we wanted to stop and buy some isotonic drinks and we had to get a team leader involved, so I'm anticipating another battle with them. They have A/C in control, so that'll be nice for them...

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 422
    Philly_Q said:
    The main reason I returned to the office 5 days a week post-Covid is.... air con.

It's just struck me that when I retire next year there'll be no air conditioned office to escape to.  I'll have to have a think about that.
    It isn't really post Covid though is it? Air con is an excellent way to spread it. I'm pretty sure I have a mild dose now, plenty of people that I both know in person and on t'internet have got it/had it recently.