NVVYGD (Ibanez content)

What's Hot
randellarandella Frets: 4713
New very, very yellow guitar day - Ibanez Genesis RG550DY. I love this thing - it plays beautifully, sounds great, and is flawlessly made. Lord knows what improvement you get with the Prestige models, do they send Paul Gilbert round to do the vacuuming?

I haven't put it down since it arrived (nearly in tune!) from Anderton's yesterday.

Wanted one since the 80s when I first played an early JEM (yellow, disappearing pyramids) in Denmark Street.

Anyway, it'll split opinion no doubt but I'm a very happy badger.

0reaction image LOL 20reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    Very nice. I had an 80s one that I had stainless steel frets put on and multicoloured dimarzios. Sold it like an absolute idiot.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 735
    Pink PAF Pros! Pink PAF Pros! 

Love it. Classic guitar. I’m prone to the occasional RG shaped guitar, now and then. 

Seriously though, don’t mess with the pickups unless you really want something specific. I had a Genesis RG and just expected to want to change the pickups - I did not. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4713
    DefaultM said:
    Very nice. I had an 80s one that I had stainless steel frets put on and multicoloured dimarzios. Sold it like an absolute idiot.
    Oh man! I wish I'd bought that one in Denmark St., I couldn't afford it at the time but it'd probably pay for a deposit on a medium-sized terraced house by now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Pink PAF Pros! Pink PAF Pros! 

Love it. Classic guitar. I’m prone to the occasional RG shaped guitar, now and then. 

Seriously though, don’t mess with the pickups unless you really want something specific. I had a Genesis RG and just expected to want to change the pickups - I did not. 
    That's good to know. I spent quite a bit of reading time and the opinion of the V7/8 pickups wasn't great. They sound fine to me, so they'll be staying for the foreseeable until I get more used to the guitar. Not that it'll take long, it's almost like an old pair of slippers already :)
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4491
    Pointy Strats are the best guitars. Adding a lairy colour makes them even better.

Congrats and enjoy!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lovely! I had a 550DYMXX a few years ago and that was great.

now get a set of dimarzios in it and live happily ever after!
  • RedFalconRedFalcon Frets: 210
    Gorgeous! Nothing says speed more than a 550! Those genesis reissues are great. And at a decent price point in comparison to the Prestige models. 
    Pink Dimarzios and green knobs are a must. 

• racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    fantastic enjoy :-)
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• NerineNerine Frets: 2492
    As I said in the recent Pia thread. 
    Shouldn’t be cool but is effortlessly cool. 

Enjoy! I would defo have one of these. 
    edited July 17
    Nerine said:
    As I said in the recent Pia thread. 
    Shouldn’t be cool but is effortlessly cool. 

Enjoy! I would defo have one of these. 
    They are cool to me too, as iconic as a lot of other guitars i think. My occasional posts on the socials are usually me playing blunders for laughs, but I put a picture of me with the guitar up. Most popular post in years, so many of my friends thought it was great - all but two of them not guitar players. 

Thought that was interesting. 

Been thinking about whether or not I would have used it in my recently-folded covers band. Reckon I would. It's not only a very versatile guitar, seems people like it
    Anyway, thanks all - I'm certainly enjoying it! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. The sound, playability, just the way it looks.

I might even get the ADA preamp out, I feel such an occasion is deserved :lol:
    Actually, last word on this - if you do order a guitar from Anderton's with next day delivery and find yourself pacing around the house Saturday morning liberally using that word your wife dislikes, best to check first that you haven't selected next *business* day postage. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5734
    Am I the only one who knew straight away what NVVYGD meant without opening the thread?   =)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    DiscoStu said:
    Am I the only one who knew straight away what NVVYGD meant without opening the thread?   =)
    So far, it would seem :lol:. Own up, would you have done without the mention of the brand name? 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5734
    randella said:
    DiscoStu said:
    So far, it would seem :lol:. Own up, would you have done without the mention of the brand name? 
    Nah it wasn't the brand bit, I just saw VVY and my very very first thought was Very Very Yellow! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DiscoStu said:
    randella said:
    DiscoStu said:
    Nah it wasn't the brand bit, I just saw VVY and my very very first thought was Very Very Yellow! 
    Haha fair play then - I buy guitars very infrequently but I'll set you a better trap next time!

Man it's yellow. Sat here playing it as we speak and still over the moon with it. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    I had a DY RG550Ltd that I think was a 1990 one, although I got it in 1991.

I traded it about 10 years later. Should not have done that.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Andrew6996Andrew6996 Frets: 2

Congrats on the new guitar, sounds awesome! That RG550DY is a real classic, love the vibrant yellow. I got a Prestige model last year and the difference is subtle but noticeable – a bit smoother on the fretboard and maybe slightly better hardware.

Haven't seen Paul Gilbert around though, haha! Enjoy playing it!

Cheers, Andrew https://mazzani.pl/projektant-wnetrz-cennik/

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1760
    That's 'orrible, I love it!!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom