TPS got me considering a Firebird.
Not using my R8… mmmmm
Here we go again.
Anyone else got this itch to scratch?
Jon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2485
    Yes, you are not alone and the itch is only growing. But I'd need to sell something and I like everything I've got at the moment.

Although a Firebird might provide more variation to my LPs than the SG...
    Tim
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 399
    Would need a 5 and trem.
    Interesting point in the TPS chat about the perceived middle age move to Gibson.
    I concur with this although it feeds my bias that I ‘need’ to swap a single coil guitar for another Gibson! 

Ramble over….
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7393
    edited July 16
    I did the exact thing a month ago after seeing @GavRichList ’s thread.

I ended up with a 1991 Orville by Gibson one as I didn’t want to spend £2500 on the Gibson USA version.

Still getting to know it - the pickups are awesome, almost fat Tele like , lovely action but ergonomically the jury is still out for me. They feel very different so be warned !

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28133
    Coda have a Collector's Choice one in at the moment and it's gorgeous. Another of the same run is on here for less money

Or build something that'll get you mostly there without having to carry an ironing board to gigs :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7352
    I did the exact thing a month ago after seeing @GavRichList ’s thread.

I ended up with a 1991 Orville by Gibson one as I didn’t want to spend £2500 on the Gibson USA version.

Still getting to know it - the pickups are awesome, almost fat Tele like , lovely action but ergonomically the jury is still out for me. They feel very different so be warned !

Love that! 
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2045
    The good Doctor @DrCornelius ;  and @stickyfiddle ;- are spot on. They take a hell of a lot of getting used to. I always felt it was like trying to play an ironing board. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7352
    I found mine felt really comfortable after no time at all. My favourite guitar now. 
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3437
    Great guitars, and the added bonus of needing a new car to ferry it about is always a bonus. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    FWIW I do actually find them quite comfortable, as long as you’re not playing somewhere cramped that you can bump into stuff..!! 

But I am an SG/ES guy, so have been playing Gibsons with the strap button on the heel for 20 years now… 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ALRALR Frets: 157
    Thanks to that TPS episode I’ve discovered Black Sea by XTC - a band I’d never listened to before. Great album! I think Blur might have heard it too…
    mhep mhep mhep!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14920
    timmypix said:
    I'd need to sell something … I like everything I've got at the moment … a Firebird might provide more variation to my LPs than the SG...
    A pair of Oil City Winterizer II pickups in your SG wouldn't be very far off the Firebird mark.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 529
    I found mine felt really comfortable after no time at all. My favourite guitar now. 
    Despite selling mine, I agree. I think the easiest way to put it from my experience is, if you have longer arms, you'll probably prefer the firebird recipe more than other Guitars, especially seated. All of the above potentially caveated by my shit playing posture. 
  • matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 861
    The only guitar I really regret selling. Still can’t stomach the non-reverse variants though. Probably Paul Raymond of UFO’s fault…
  • toescantalktoescantalk Frets: 149
    I’m very into the non-reverse after seeing the National set at Glastonbury. Lovely.
    RobG3294 said:
    Despite selling mine, I agree. I think the easiest way to put it from my experience is, if you have longer arms, you'll probably prefer the firebird recipe more than other Guitars, especially seated. All of the above potentially caveated by my shit playing posture. 
    I genuinely do have quite long arms. Is this why I don’t hate SGs too??
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11309
    tFB Trader
    timmypix said:
    I'd need to sell something … I like everything I've got at the moment … a Firebird might provide more variation to my LPs than the SG...
    A pair of Oil City Winterizer II pickups in your SG wouldn't be very far off the Firebird mark.
    After working on Polly's Firebird ... I really want one ... but one like hers a 65 :-)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2485
    timmypix said:
    It wouldn't look like a Firebird though, would it? ;)

I had a Winterizer in my old Tele, bloody fantastic pickup that sort of started the Firebird itch for me.
    Tim
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 726
    I’m very into the non-reverse after seeing the National set at Glastonbury. Lovely.
    I was gasing for a non reverse after seeing them at Crystal Palace a couple of weeks ago. Sounded immense 
    TDubs said:
    I was gasing for a non reverse after seeing them at Crystal Palace a couple of weeks ago. Sounded immense 
    It was the double-decker of The National in Seattle and Death Cab in Bend on last year's big holiday that got me onto my current FB infatuation. FB pickups everywhere and always sounding ace. 

Dave Depper of Death Cab has a bunch of Novo's with Lollars... 

Fano Alt De Facto PX6  Novo Serus J
    (Image credit: Olly Curtis / Future)

Fano Alt De Facto PX6 & Novo Serus J

Dave Depper: “This is the sort of non-reverse Firebird guitar that I’ve been playing. I also have this lovely Novo Serus J that Denis Fano himself built for me, and I put Lollar Firebird pickups in it to match the PX6s.

(Image credit: Olly Curtis / Future)

“On the last tour, I had six different electric guitars out, and then all the pedals would respond differently to them, and I kind of got in over my head with all that stuff, so I just wanted a very consistent thing to build off of.

“And that guitar is the perfect one for me, because in the neck position, those Firebird pickups can do a very convincing bell-like Strat kind of sound. Also, the middle position, you get that lovely out-of-phase thing. But the bridge pickup breaks up just like a Gibson with the humbucker. It’s like a Swiss army knife of a guitar.”

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7393
    Reading all the positive comments and downright lust on here for Firebirds is confirming that they maybe aren’t right for me - I’ve been on the fence for a few weeks but the size combined with my clumsiness isn’t a good fit .

I paid £1500 for mine including a rather expensive Gibson leather gigbag so if anyone is keen please let me know before I stick it up in the classifieds

Cheers