Grounding a Half Bridge Tele and...."What does this wire do?"

What's Hot
stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 216
edited July 17 in Making & Modding
My gold foil tele has no ground going to the bridge so when i touch the strings the buzz isn't eliminated and it's a tad annoying.
There's a wire with a tooth washer soldered onto the end but it's just screwed into the wood!?

How can I ground this? Am I going to have to drill a hole from the control cavity through to the bridge screw hole?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73537

How can I ground this? Am I going to have to drill a hole from the control cavity through to the bridge screw hole?
    Unfortunately yes. Whoever built it should have!

I would start by drilling a fairly large hole, about 3/8" (10mm) diameter, straight down into the top roughly between the E and B string holes and slightly further forward of the bridge screw holes, and about 1/4" (6mm) deep - that will stop the sideways drill hole from skittering or wandering as you start to drill. You will then need a long enough drill to reach the control cavity from there without the drill chuck chewing up the body - size isn't critical but you probably want about 1/8"-3/16" (3-5mm). It may be easier to go into the pickup cavity instead, if you don't have a long enough one - it looks like about half the distance.

The toothed tag is to ground the shielding paint in the cavity - it needs to be there. I would connect the bridge ground wire to that as well, it's easier than soldering to the pot. I prefer to poke the bare end down one of the bridge screw holes to maximise electrical contact, as long as the plastic insulation isn't then caught under the bridge - you need to strip about an inch.

Does that help?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 216
    ICBM said:

I would start by drilling a fairly large hole, about 3/8" (10mm) diameter, straight down into the top roughly between the E and B string holes and slightly further forward of the bridge screw holes, and about 1/4" (6mm) deep - that will stop the sideways drill hole from skittering or wandering as you start to drill. You will then need a long enough drill to reach the control cavity from there without the drill chuck chewing up the body - size isn't critical but you probably want about 1/8"-3/16" (3-5mm). It may be easier to go into the pickup cavity instead, if you don't have a long enough one - it looks like about half the distance.

The toothed tag is to ground the shielding paint in the cavity - it needs to be there. I would connect the bridge ground wire to that as well, it's easier than soldering to the pot. I prefer to poke the bare end down one of the bridge screw holes to maximise electrical contact, as long as the plastic insulation isn't then caught under the bridge - you need to strip about an inch.

Does that help?
    Awesome, yes it helps. You're always helpful :) thank you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 216
    ICBM said:

Does that help?
    It worked, successfully drilled and grounded while heeding your advice, thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom