Small, stereo parametric EQ - does such a thing exist?

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27292
edited July 18 in Studio & Recording
I've got some Auratone 5Cs, but they're very much lacking in bass. The solution, apparently, is to boost around 90Hz by ~13dB. The trouble is, I only want to do that on the speaker output - I use headphones too, so I only want to boost the output on the speaker device.

This is also my daily-driver machine, so an in-DAW solution doesn't do the job, and I don't want to be constantly switching the EQ on and off.

The obvious solution, to my mind, is to put a hardware EQ between the interface outputs and the amp - so I'm after a stereo parametric EQ capable of up to 13-14dB boost on a line-level signal, in a reasonable form factor (don't have room for rack units without some serious rearrangement), at a reasonable price (say, sub-£200).

Does such a thing exist?
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31346
    edited July 18
    Source Audio EQ2.

Should get one for 200 ish second hand.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27292
    Gassage said:
    Source Audio EQ2.

Interesting...didn't actually think of a pedal. None available on eBay, though...will keep looking.

However...do you know if they take line level signals OK?
    <space for hire>
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31346
    Gassage said:
    Source Audio EQ2.

Interesting...didn't actually think of a pedal. None available on eBay, though...will keep looking.

However...do you know if they take line level signals OK?
    100% yes. A pal of mine has one running at Line in his rack.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Ace, ta!
    <space for hire>
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13101
    Just checking that you've already checked in software that this is the right solution before you go and buy a pedal... 
    Just checking that you've already checked in software that this is the right solution before you go and buy a pedal... 
    Yeah, I don't really want a software solution - it looks like it's possible to set EQ on different sinks in Pipewire, but I really don't like the idea of an obscure config change breaking it and rendering my speakers unusable without endless time spent debugging it. A hardware solution is much more likely to do the job.

I am, however, going to set the new speakers up and experiment with EQ in Reaper to verify that +13dB @ ~90Hz does the job.
    <space for hire>
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2441
    They're meant to be lacking in bass!

If you boost 90Hz you will rob yourself of a lot of headroom, so won't be able to listen at all loud.
    Stuckfast said:
    They're meant to be lacking in bass!

If you boost 90Hz you will rob yourself of a lot of headroom, so won't be able to listen at all loud.
    Yeah, I get that...I don't use them loud, though. I'm a little annoyed with all the reviews I'd found, which said they were "very listenable".
    <space for hire>
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 147
    tFB Trader
    I think they roll off pretty steep below about 150hz? They are really designed for listening to mids and lower treble, say 1khz to 8khz? I'd imagine any low end boost is going to get pretty farty pretty quickly, and greatly reduce headroom.

To answer your question though, a baxendall style or even tilt EQ might give good results? You can always try it with a simple EQ plugin to make sure it gives the desired result before spending any money.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1283
    edited July 18
    A bit more down-market than the Source Audio but you could look for one of these old Tandy/Realistic things maybe? Cheap and cheerful.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3765
    A bit more down-market than the Source Audio but you could look for one of these old Tandy/Realistic things maybe? Cheap and cheerful.

I had the reverb version with a Fostex x15 in my first recording setup..  even then I was deeply unimpressed!  It was more a fast slap back echo.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1283

I had the reverb version with a Fostex x15 in my first recording setup..  even then I was deeply unimpressed!  It was more a fast slap back echo.

I still have the four channel mixer version tucked away in a drawer somewhere.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    They're really not made to have that sort of low end extension, and a 13dB boost is an absolutely wild amount. If you're looking for that sort of low end extension, I'd put the money you'd spend on an EQ aside and spend it on some more full range nearfields and move the 5C on.